Hog Hunting

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by Catcaller, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Another good show just coming on the National Geographic Channel right now is "HogZilla." It's the story of the new pending world record free ranging hog. Check this dude out if you have NGC. You won't believe the size of this hog!

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks, gonna ck it out. Wild hogs scare me though. :crying:

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hogzilla was interesting! Thanks for the tip. I don't care for wild hogs though. When I was a wee child, we were on South Holston Mtn. visting my Mom's oldest sister. I was in the front yard playing and a piglet came down a bank across the road and straight at me. It was old enough to have tusks and at my age looked monsterous. Scared me to death. Did you hear the man on the show tonight say they are the most intelligent domestic animals? I'm an animal nut and used to want one of those pot belly pigs but never got one.

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Wild hogs are also extremely aggressive. If they feel threatened and cornered...like the man says...they'll come and see ya. I have shot 2 feral hogs in Se Kansas in the past 10 years. There's not many here...most are escapees from farms...others from a nearby hog hunting operation....yet others pets that have been dumped. Did you hear the guy on the show say that there's a feral hog for every ten people in Texas? That's alot of pork chops running around rooting stuff up and decimating crops.

5. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    im not sure if there is hog for every 10 people in texas but i know there sure is alot and they have become a problem with farmers they are getting into their crops and destorying them. where i lived in blue ridge texas it got so bad down on the goverment flood land for lake lavon which has thousands of crops backin up to the land that sposely TWP release some mountian lions which where sposely already there but due to the pop. of hogs they couldnt help keep them in check

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I deal with about 200 of them wild boars at the game ranch I work at sometimes. One 200 pounder grabbed my diabetic grandpa and gave him a 40 stitch souvenir on the leg.

Not a fan of them as pets but boy are they tasty on the table! I slaughter 4 or 5 100 pounders a year to eat and share. Cant get enough of that wild boar. My favorite though is about a 15 pounder done up on my countertop rotisserie with a lil crabapple in its mouth. lol They call it a suckling pig- I call it a great pig roast on a small individual scale. heh heh

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Once when we were on Oahu, Hawaii on a vacation...we went to Jermaines Luau. They roasted 4 hogs in the ground on hot coals and heated rocks. They roasted the pigs while we all got roasted at the open bar...Lol. Thats was some of the best pork I've ever eaten in my life! It would just fall apart, and melted in your mouth. Didn't even need a fork!

8. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i think the population of javalinas are worse than wild hogs here in texas and they are just as mean may not get as big but they sure will tear you a new one. sposely they arent even related to pigs they look just like a really ugly pigs to me. me and my dad was hunting down near the mexico boarder on a deer lease we was in a tower blind lookin over a deer feed that was in a pen because there was sheep on the land and the pens kept the sheep from eatin the corn well anyways there was only one hole under the fence that the javalinas could get threw and get at the corn they had to go threw one at a time there had to be over 50 of them in the heard i had a 243 rem. my dad was shooting a 283 rem. we both had a box of bullets plus what i had around my pack we let them all get into the pen and he took the ones at the hole as they exited and i took the ones in the pen man they went nuts you could see that we was nailing them in the back and stomach but they would fall and get back up and run into the fence i know one we hit at least 4 times and he kept comeing up the hill towards us then after they all ran off they came right back and we did it again well someone ended up comeing to see what the in the heck was going on prob though we ran into big foot or wild indiands with all the shots we fired we looked and looked and endend up only finding 2 that where dead man those things are fighters you could see the blood spray inside the pin from hitting them but they still ran off id hate to be walkin around in the middle of no where and get into a herd of them. they are just as bad if not worse on crops and their not to good to eat at all smell worse than a skunk

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Very interesting Wolfman! Just a side note; I finally figured out what the phrase, "Did the hogs eat you?" means by watching Deadwood. Yep, that's how they covered up the murders in the old wild west, threw them to the hogs. :eek:

10. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    We have a few hogs here in southern Indiana,for awhile i thought it was just a rumor,then i seen a local paper where a bow hunter killed 2 just down the road from my house,then one night while coyote hunting,my dad and I seen 3 one biggun and 2 lil ones,I poped a shot of at the big one and it hit her rite in the shoulder blade at about 100yrds but i dont think that 22-250 bullet was enough to take her down. I went out with a buddy a couple times after that and found a few places where they have been,where the ground was all tore up and we found a couple trees tore up with real course black hair on em,never did see or hear any,bu ti hear wild hogs are more nocturnal then anything,i havnt herd much about any hogs in the past year or 2,but unless the DNR did a major clean up that i dont know about they are still here.

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    You keep this up, and I'll start feeling bad about eating bacon and ham...Lol :D

12. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hog Hunting section created, and these post(s) split out of the general conversation thread.

Thanks,
    Paul

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    ROTFLMHO,

Thanks, Paul. We did divert from noodling. Sorry.

I wanted to post to James that I looked up a pic of the javalinas and this thread popped up at me when I went to find "It's on now". It's not nice to make an old lady think she is having flashbacks and wondering WHY! LOL.:0010:

Anyway, James, they are mean looking little critters. Large ears, too. The pic I got to see was pretty dark so I don't think it did them justice. I will keep looking on other engines to get a better one. Thanks for sharing!

14. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    You will have better luck with an image search if you search for "javelina" or "collared peccary". Try Google images, you will get tons of pics.

Javelina are technically not hogs, though they are similar to pigs in appearance. They are in their own family "Tayassuidae".

Javelinas are herding animals, they look ornery and can make aggressive displays, but they are not really dangerous to humans. They hear very well, and have a good sense of smell, of course, but their eyesight is extremely poor. If you are downwind and quiet, you can practically walk right up to them before they will know you are there. A lot of folks tell stories of being "charged" by javelinas. In reality, what appeared to be a "charge" was probably just a startled javelina fleeing in the direction of the person that startled them.

I got drawn for javelina this year, I will let you all know how I do.

15. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    a couple of weeks i i was in my treestand and had pack of hogs come about 20 yards from me i shot one in the head and dropped it with my 12 gauge pump using 00 buck when it dropped i shot another behind the shoulder after hitting the second one i shot a third in the mid section. after the smoke cleared and i got the tears outta my eyes from smacking myself in the nose from my recoil and pumping one layed on the ground and the other two were still running thruogh the thicket i got out of my stand and went to the one that was head shot and turned out to be a sow and was still alive so i put a round at point blank range in her head to end her suffering. after about ten minutes i start looking for blood trails and signs of the other two and couldn't find anything after an hour and a half...so i would say they are one resiliant animal...by the way the hog weighed 175#

16. fourwglenn

fourwglenn New Member

State:
    Ocala,Fla.
    Back in the late 60's I went with my two uncles to a mans farm southwest of Miami to gather some bulls. My horse stepped in a hole when we unloaded him and he was lame so I stayed at the cow pens while the others rode out to find the bulls. I was puttin some balein wire on one of the gates when I heard somethin in the bushes. I walked over toward the sound and stepped on a little piglet. Well when that baby pig squaled here comes his mama. I ran back to the gate I had just wired up and climbed it. I guess my wirein job sucked because the gate fell over and I was under it. That mad sow stood on the gate and started chewin on my right leg from the knee to my boot top. Talk about a bad feelin. I couldn't move because she was on top of me and the gate and she was eatin me alive. Just lucky my Uncle Bill came ridin back to the pens to get his cow whip. He heard me hollerin and roped the hog and dragged her into the cow pens away from me. It took four months and three skin grafts to heal my leg. Take it from me hogs can be very dangerous .
    Pegleg

17. bojuana

bojuana New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I will be heading down to south Texas to hunt javelina and hogs on a ranch just out from Laredo.This will be my fourth trip down that way.The hunts are bow only witch can make for some real fun when one of the critters get a little mad.If you know anything thing about the brush down there you know you just can't run ,no were to go.I have never been backed up by a pig but I did have a sow jave grind her tusk at me.Last year one of the guys passed on a big boar because he had no place to run.He told me when the hog rased his hair up on his back he just could not let the arrow fly and the fact he was only 8 steps away had somthing to do with it.I limited out on javes and arrowed a nice 180lb boar.I can say for sure if you ever get the chance to go you will be like me can't wait till the next trip down.

18. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    The Ozarks are becoming increasingly invaded by wild boars. I have been treed by them a few times. There is nothing more heart pounding than to be chased up a large cedar tree by boars and sows with many piglets and they keep you in that tree untill you drop them or they get bored waiting.

They can be dangerous and will attack you if provoked. Their sense of smell and hearing are excellent, they have keen eyes when in the clear. Baiting them can be achieved but it is easier to bring them in using scent.

I stalk and ambush them. I shoot them in the heart quadrant with a 12 gauge using solid rifled slugs. A wounded boar in the brush is extremely dangerous.

19. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    diodeman, Any good area in southern missouri where a fellow could go and have a good shot at getting a bore?

20. tater7905

tater7905 New Member

State:
    kathleen, ga
    anybody got any suggestions on the best gun for hogs yall think i should use my 12 gauge with slugs or take the 30-06 to them. me and my bodies are gonna go out one night down here in Ga and see if we cant find us one. we see them all the time when we aint huntin them but yall know how that goes. i rode past one off to the side of a dirt road one night biggest id ever seen we estimated him at about the lighter side of 350lbs we got some bigguns down here.