Hog hunting with dogs....

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by mrc, May 25, 2006.

1. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    Who does it? Do you use bay dogs or catch dogs. We normally use hounds to trail and bay. Works very well in the mtns of NC and SC.

2. Leiter

Leiter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've seen videos of American bulldogs Catching in wild and at bulldog shows.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have never hunted anything. Always wanted to but it just never worked out. I did read an article online about a breed of dog called Presa Canario. Those are some amazing looking dogs and from what I read, they get the job done!

4. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    I recently met a guy who invited me for a hunt. His dogs catch and hold them by biting their ears. He then secures the hogs and sells them, or fattens them for slaughter.

5. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Most of the hog hunters around here use Catahulas, run'em then catch and hold'em. I used to raise Catahulas, but never hog hunted them, we used them to catch wild and crazy cows.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I Bowhunted hunted them in Tenn. with Pitbull mixes. They were more or less bay hounds. It was a foot race to get to the pig before it killed the dogs. Three of us went down there but only one shot a pig over the dogs. We wound up finding them in the thickets and went in after them. I had to kill one in self defense. It came at me while I was on my knees in a Mountain Laurel thicket. That was the best pork I've ever eaten!