Hog hunting with a knife

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by CatfishRocky, Feb 15, 2007.

1. CatfishRocky

CatfishRocky New Member

State:
    Iowa
    im thing about going hogg hunting with i knife im going to us a kaybar for a knife ur thoughts

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    If you are using good dogs to bay it and set it down you can do it. If it is the hog and you............be careful.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Will it be pay per view?
    :cool2:
    "Hey ya'll watch this."

4. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Man...sounds like you have a death wish LOL.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    And your buddy will be telling the paramedics / coroner when he calls them, you ain't gonna beleive this but the last thing he said was hold my beer and watch this sh!!:lol: .

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alex that would be like taking a switch to a gun fight. You want have a chance against an angry boar.

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    ive heard of it, but only when they use dogs, have fun and be careful!

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    You'd better be behind some good dogs.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think you got BIG BRASS ONES :sad2:

10. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    If Rambo can do Why not you

11. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Good luck & best wishes, kiss your @ss good bye before the hog get's it.

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Alex, sounds like a plan. I'm looking forward to hearing about it. Good luck and be careful.
    :beat_plaster:

st

13. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can I have your Fishing Gear?:big_smile:

Just don't cut yourself like Tred Barta (or what ever his name is) did on the Outdoor Channel. :crazy:

14. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    LOL I wonder if he has a nice boat he won't be needing much longer???

15. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Newbie Alex;
    You NEED MORE KNIFE!! Get at least 9"-10" blade if your going after anything over 200-220 lbs!
    Something on the order of say a Cold Steel Trailmaster or better!
    Let me know how it turns out. Just remember, that Hog will be fighting for it's life as will be the Dog's!
    Be sure you understand exactly what your getting into and the risks involved! I don't care what your guide says, it's your life on the line against the Hog's and make no mistake about it, any animal treasures it's life just as much as you do yours, if not more!
    No matter how well laid your plans are, I guarantee you will have forgotten something when it happens!
    One last piece of advice; If you don't know how to use a knife, and I mean if you don't know how to Kill with a knife without having to think about it {{this takes a LOT of training with one particular knife to start off with and your most likely going to have to get the knife into the animal up to your elbow to cut the "Heartstring"}}, then be safe and use a large Centerfire magnum handgun or rifle. You will still get an Adrenalin rush and you will live to see another day!
    If you have any questions or doubts, send me a PM and I will be happy to discuss it with you truthfully with no holds barred. This means telling you about the blood, gore, fangs, teeth, hooves, claws, ect!!
    I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU!!
    Fraternally and Most Sincerely,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

16. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Tred Barta did it on OLN channel a few months ago. looked prety easy for him because he was using 4 dogs that were able to keep the hog still while he ran up and stuck the hog with his knife. They showed him kill two hogs with his knife one he stuck only once and the other he ended up having to stick 3 or 4 times. and he keep one of the dogs between him and the hog and both time he waited till the dogs had ahold of the hog befor he walked up. looked very easy with the dogs he was using. Me myself dont wear a feather in my head so I will stick with the gun or compound.

17. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    We do it all the time down here, I posted a pic last year of one that I let my buddies 11yr old son "stick", it was in the 500lb range using a 5'' fixed blade knife.

You won't be sticking it thru the major part of the hide. You will be pulling it's front leg backwards, similiar to an arm bar in wrestling, the sticking the knife inward @ the armpit then start twisting.

You'll know when you've hit the heart, the hot purple blood will start pumping out. DON'T get off of him 'till he stops kickin'

BTW, we do use bay dogs. If you've got a good guide & good dogs, you'll love it. The adrenaline rush is great !!!

Be careful & have fun.........

18. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    hope you have better luck than my nephew. he was checking his tree stand pre season when a 10 pointer stopped and looked up at him. he jumped out of the tree hunting knife in hand. a nearby farmer heard the screaming and thrashing and went to investigate. nephew was found in a small stream about 300 yards from his tree. he almost blead to death before paramedics got there. he had several broken bones cuts brusies, and abrasions and was in the hospital for 3 months. to beat it all a friend used his tree stand and killed a 10 pointer just a week after he let it get away. it had some sign of the previous fight but for sure the deer won.

19. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    And they call us rednecks! LMAO!:big_smile:

20. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Just when is this hunt going to take place?? I'v got three weeks vacation comming and wanta see this ONE!!!! LOL.
    J.D.
    :big_smile_2: