HOG HUNTING FROM CHOPPERS???

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by Luke Clayton, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke Clayton here. Will you read my current newspaper article, posted here on the BOC each week? It is about guided hog hunts from choppers!! Let me know what you think about what I precieve to be an absurd idea down here in Texas!

2. Racedaddy_14

Racedaddy_14 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke, what is absurd about the choppers, are that farmers use them to kill hogs. But they leave the hogs lay and never retrieve them after the kill. I find that it is a waste and a deplorable condition and to have to pay $ 550.00 an hour. There are to many less fortunate people that could use the meat instead of it laying and ruining. But then again the state says you can't give the meat to others also. Makes me wonder what has happened to this country we live in. I used to donate loads of hog meat to soup kitchens and needy families, but with the new regulations the state has enforced, they make trying to help others a crime now. I for one cannot afford a fine for helping others and sometimes I just wonder if trapping them is even worth it any more.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    With a bow would be cool. "HOW CAN YOU SHOOT THE SOWS AND PIGLETS SIR? JUST DONT LEAD THEM AS MUCH... Lol

JMHO

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Wow!!!! Finally my way of thinkin. I hate and i mean HATE a wild hog. Use choppers and eradicate the mass eating, habitat destroyin suckers. I hope they kill every last feral hog in existence. Fun to hunt, but hunting don't keep up with their breeding rates.

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree with aerial hunting by the DNR to control populations. Helk hwere do I sign up for a job, they need mini guns.

BUT I do NOT agree that any yahoo with a hunting license and the money be allowed to hire a chopper to fly around blasting away.... there is no sport in that whatsoever...

Have they ever thought about or tried a bounty? Like $5 or $10 a hog, they'd have people doing it full time for a living , killing the helk out of em and have alot of meat for foodbanks and such....

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hehe, John, is pork against your religion?

We have a few wild hogs around here, there's even a 'wild' herd of those vietnamese pigs; but the locals keep them under control. If they're being very destructive, IMO, do whatever it takes to control them.

7. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke Clayton here. I am happy to see the response to this article. I had a feeling it would spark a lot of interest. I am off this monday to Jack county, Tx. to attempt to do my share to remove a couple of porkers. I see next week's column in the making!

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Luke,I have to agree with you,That does seem a bit off,No way I'd want to be anywhere in the same county with who knows ,in a chopper blasting .

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    "....I have no problem with properly permitted landowners controlling hog numbers on their ranches from the air.........."

Is there a problem with landowners allowing guided hunts from choppers over their property?

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Some have mentioned the waste of the meat. I don't condone waste of food in any form. As far as wild hogs go, the do a tremendous amount of damage. Root up pasture and crops, not to mention the amount of turkey nest and whatever else is in their path. I use to have a lease in south Ark. which i allowed folks to hunt if they ask. I always told them, kill every hog you see. I've bow hunted them, dog hunted them and also caught a few in a trap. I love to hunt hogs, i just don't like them.:confused2:

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    When I shoot 'em, I leave 'em lay.

They're next to impossible to give away, and when you do find someone who's interested, the first question is, "Have you cleaned it?":roll_eyes:

12. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    if you are to damn lazy to go out and hunt, stay at home. there is no sport in using a helicopter. it is against the law to hunt deer, antelope, ect. from a plane or helicopter for a reason. like one guy said they then leave edible meat to waste. if they are a problem on your land shot them and give them away or lease it out to some hunters. wasting food is against god's laws. remember that at the end it will be him that makes the big decision for you.

13. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have read the posts on this subject and wish to clear up a few points. Hogs cost the farmer, rancher, and land owners an estimated $400,000,000 a year in damage. This number will increase dramatically if something is not done to control them. Hunting for sport and trapping will not put a dent in the population. This has already been proven. We are talking about eradication of the hog problem. You might as well think of them as rats. I kill them to get rid of them and I don't eat rats. Killing rats is not a sport. It is a necessity.
    Hog eradication with the use of helicopters can be cost effective. It can be as safe as anything else with the proper controls. Please don't sit there and think of ways to stop this hunting from helicopters. Instead, think of positive ways we can make it work. We need help and we need it quick. I am a land owner with a hog problem and I have seen the damage they have done. I flew helicopters for 30 years and I have hunted hogs with them. It works, but now I am too old to do that anymore. I know the members out there have some good ideas. Share them with us. Thanks for reading this post, Catfishjon

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It's evident to me that I know little about the problems that arise from 'wild' hogs. I just want everyone to know that because I am a conservative and I sympathize/empathize with the landowner and I despise intrusive government influence that prevents/hinders common sense/logical solutions, I side with Pat Muckelroy, Texas landowner on this one.