Hog Calls

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by TX Catman, May 5, 2007.

1. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    A dieng coton tail... jackrabbit those calls i know work, but has anyone used a hog call before? not a dieing animal just a hog call? If u have plz tell me if it works.THANKS

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hear pig, Hear pig, come, come ,come! I'm sure you can tell, I've hunted alot of hog in my life. NOT! LOL
    Sparky

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    piglet distress works really good for some sows.

4. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
  5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the guys in the boar hunter magazine were saying the hog in distress or the piglet in distress will call them in, to eat the wounded or to help them, hogs can go either way. they even make scent attractants now, like they do for deer. there's dominant boar, sow in heat....pigs rely on pretty much scent and hearing for almost everything, so i bet you'll see this market jump in the years ahead.
    i have never tried calling them, so i don't know if it's just an advertising thing. i have though, seen hogs come back after a lot of shooting to a wounded pig that was squealing.
    it might be worth trying.

6. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    to eat the wounded

you serious? Never heard of that but then again, Im not familiar with hog either. Just learning all this.

7. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Record the sound of Corn zinging out of a feeder they come to that real good or you can just put up a feeder. I have a tendency to use a 12 volt timer with a 6 volt motor with an enclosed slinger with a tall tripod. This scatters the corn out where they have to go after it grain by grain.

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    try wounding a piglet and watch how many boars show up.
    They are scavengers and will eat a small piglett if the mamma is not around.

9. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    my goodness, talk about survival of the fittest. Id think that the boars would kill it to bring the sow into heat again but nvr figured theyd eat it as well:crazy:

Thanks for the insight

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i gut shot a sow and came back the next morning to get her, and the rest of the herd had eaten almost everything. at first i figured coyotes, but the only tracks around her were pig tracks.
    also the reason, i think, is the sows are so mean is the boars kill the piggies on sight. as soon as a sow drops piggies, the boars are pushed out of the herd. that's why especially this time of year you'll see herds of sows and piggies, or groups of big old boars. you will rarely see them together when there's babies around.
    the experience i was talking about above is we had jumped a small herd in a peanut field at night, and i opened up on them with my sks. after the survivors got away, there was one hopping around on three legs with a broke front shoulder. i was standing in the bed of the pickup while we moved toward the hog, and when we got within 50 feet he started going crazy, squealing and shrieking. two hogs run out at us from the ravine on the other side of the field, and started grunting and popping their teeth while they moved around the truck. i shot both of them, then shot the wounded one. if you never heard an sks, they're loud, especially on the receiving end, and those hogs were more worried about the hurt pig than the gunshots. so i'll bet the distress call will bring something in....

11. cro

cro New Member

State:
    BAYOU STATE
    It is amazing how animals act when something is hurt. I have seen them come charging in looking for a fight and sometimes they just stay in the thick stuff and pop their jaws. You have to watch out in some states you can call but not electronic devices. I have had a group of 30 hogs come into a food plot and I take out the big sow and she drops. A few minutes later the other big sow in the group comes right up to her and smells her. At that time I was thinking who else was hunting to help clean 2 hogs. We had a camp full of hunters so we cleaned 2