hog bait

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by net man, Aug 27, 2009.

1. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    what is a good bait for hogs :confused2:

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    straight corn or soured corn.

3. The_Black_Cat

The_Black_Cat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey net man what kind of fish is that you are holding in the pic that you have on your profile?

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Corn works well,to get the hogs to stick around and not eat it all quick theres a couple tricks I've heard that work well. Either dig a deep hole with posthole diggers ,and fill with corn,or put the corn inside an old tire both ways will make them work for the corn.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if you bury it or put it on the ground, don't pile it up. spread it out and keep them there longer. while a deer will munch a little and leave, a pig is definitely a pig and will stick around rooting up the ground until every bit of corn is gone. we dump a 6 pack of cheap beer in a 5 gal bucket with corn when we bait them, just don't fill the bucket before adding beer. it will swell and spill and be a royal pain. i don't drink much, but i'd much rather smell beer than soured grain. spreading it around on the ground will also help the hogs locate the buried corn faster.

6. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    what kind of beer :confused2:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Any will do,The cheapest will work,hogs aint taste connisuers :wink:

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hell hogs will even eat corn soaked in diesel fuel. a lot of hog trappers do this to keep deer out of the traps.

9. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    is there any more bait other than corn and beer i put it out today

10. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I have trapped a few. I like to bait the trap with deer corn. And I few whole ears of corn. I will scatter it around the trap, but just enough to sort of wet their appetite. Then put a good pile inside with a few ears of corn there too. I have heard that grape soda, cheap grape soda will draw them in too. Even as said earlier diesel soaked corn will even draw them. They say there is only two kinds of property in Texas.That's property with hogs on it and property that will get hogs just give them time.

11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    :smile2: I'm sorry, but that was funny!!! Have you ever really looked at those ugly old brutes??? Naaaassttyyyy varmints!
    (Make em "drink" the cheap brewskies!):wink:

12. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    They are ugly, but they taste GOOOOOOOOOD:wink:

13. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Yeah, they sure do!

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i think hogs are one of the most beautiful animals in the woods! there's something awesome about a big ol boar with the shield curling over his front legs and trying to scent you in heavy cover that is just amazing! i get more excited when i see those big ol bruisers than when i see a deer. when i see a deer, it's just a deer, but a big hog or better yet a whole herd tearing up the ground really gets me going!

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Tell ya the truth, Jordan, I'd LUV to have a chance to get a shot at one. We had/have some at one of our deer leases. We see signs every year prior to hunting season, but once we start staying at the camp, they go into hiding, but.....one day......!:wink:

16. sniper2

sniper2 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have been trapping and hunting hogs for about 5-years. I have had good luck with all techniques mentioned above. I also use a SOW-IN-HEAT sent that works great for big boars. I use what I call a pig pipe. I take a 5-foot piece of PVS pipe and drill 1/2 inch holes all around it, cap one end and use a threaded connector on the other. I tie this to a tree close to the trap of around the area of a tree stand. It takes a while for the hogs to get all of the corn out of the pipe. It is great for holding hogs in an area. I can drop a feeder at the beginning of the week and hunt over it all week long.

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i see them more when i am carrying a shotgun loaded with birdshot than any other time! last deer season they were pretty thick, hopefully they have multiplied more by this season. i only hunt public land for them, so the thicker they are the better. wild hog is the best meat around, IMO.

18. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    That could work for lots of critters.

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Budweiser Man . Is there another kind ?

20. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member