Hockey Around The Corner

Discussion in 'NHL Talk' started by whiskers77, Sep 22, 2006.

1. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I'm sure there are not a whole lot of hockey fans on this website but I for one am really excited about this season. In fact, I'm heading out to Las Vegas tomorrow for an NHL preseason game at the MGM Grand. My favorite team (Los Angeles Kings), will be playing the Colorado Avalanche tomorrow night. Being a big hockey fan it's always a treat to be able to go to Vegas and watch my favorite team play while I'm there. Anyone else here excited about hockey starting?

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I'm excited about the start of the Hockey season! I'm a huge Pittsburgh Penguins fan. Tickets went on sale last Saturday and we tried to get tickets for the Sidney Crosby bobblehead game on Oct. 18 but it sold out in less than a hour. So we ended up buying tickets for the Evgeni Malkin bobblehead game on Jan. 7. I have four daughters that are going so it costs me a fortune to buy 6 tickets so we try to go on a promotion night. Let's Go Pens!!! Oh yeah I heard on ESPN radio today that Malkin was evaluated by a second physican for his injured left shoulder and the diagnosis is he will be out 4 - 6 weeks. That's a shame that he got injured in his first NHL exhibition game on a freak mishap behind the net running into John LeClair.

3. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    well like both of you i cant wait for the start of hockey season,i love hockey even the minor league team here in Dayton,this will be the first time in three years i wont have season tickets but none the less i will be at as many games i can and watch all the hockey on tv

4. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    These are some exciting times to be a Pens fan!!! You are fortunate to be able to take in some Pens games. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Malkin and Crosby can do together, and Fleury is always fun to watch in net. I end up getting the hockey sports package through my cable provider and I'll be watching plenty of Penguin games this year. I was sad to hear Malkin got hurt so quickly and on such a freak play too. Fortunately he does not need surgery on his shoulder and should only miss about 10 games. That's great that you were able to get tickets for you and your family. I know what you mean about ticket prices, I'll probably be seeing less games in person and watching more on TV because of ticket prices. Hopefully that Malkin bobblehead will end up being worth a fortune someday. Hockey starts in 1 week!!!!!

5. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I agree, minor league games can be a lot of fun to watch. There is rumor that they might put a minor league team about 10 minutes from where I live now. I hope they do, I'd attend a lot of games if they did. Sorry to hear that you don't have season tickets this year but hopefully you will still be able to attend a few games this year. Do you ever take in any Bluejackets games?

By the way, the Kings, Avalanche game in Vegas was awesome! Kings were down 2-0 till 3rd period, scored a powerplay goal to make it 2-1. With about 5 minutes to go in the game the Kings tied it up and took the lead with less than a minute in the game, the MGM grand garden errupted. Kings went on to win 3-2!!! It was great to be watching hockey again, had a great time!!!

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    You bet I'm a hockey fan. I saw all but 5 games that my Red Wings played last year... and for the Avs fans out there I sat right behind Patrick Roy in his last game at Detroit in 2004. Quebeoise were EVRYWHERE... it was NUTS.

Im gonna miss The Captain this year... as I suppose all Wings fans will. Hockeytown will not be the same without his leadership- which will likely come in coach form within the next 10 years, probably here in Detroit when his ex teammate Dave Lewis steps down.

Yep... My favorite sport is gearing up for another season, and I cannot wait.

7. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Yeah Stevie Y is one of the all time greats!!! It's gonna be strange not seeing him out there on the ice anymore. You talk about a player with heart and he comes to mind. I was glad to see that the Wings offered him a spot in the front office as Vice President and that he accepted. His leadership will be valued in that office. I'm glad to see he is in some way still with the team.

It's my favorite sport too Sal, I'm just as excited as you are I'm sure. Here is to a great season boys! Whether you are a Pens, Wings, Kings, or minor league hockey fan lets drop the puck and enjoy a great season!!!

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I'm ready!:cool2: My Pens open up Oct. 5 at home vs. the much hated Philly Flyers! I'm excited, can't wait to sit down and watch the long time rivalry renew again!

Let's Go Pens!!!!:smile2:

9. carpfisherman11

carpfisherman11 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hockey is also my favorite sport, i play hockey, and i am a huge columbus blue jackets fan my family has season tickets and i am so excited i think we will have a great team this year!

10. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Yeah I'm excited too Scott, looks like a lot of rivalry games to kick off the season. My Kings are playing their cross town rival and much hated Ducks in thier first game. Should be a good physical game.

Jeff, the jackets should have a good team this year, I bet you were relieved to hear they re-signed Zherdev recently. I always enjoy watching Jody Shelley mix it up with someone.

It's almost time to drop the puck boys!!!

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    My season starts at 7:30 PM Thursday...

And I watched us barely scoot by the leafs yesterday in a shootout. Zetterberg's been watching Datsyuk's shootout tapes! ROTFL

12. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i have never been to a Blue Jackets game but i hope to get to a few this year

13. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I have to wait until 7:30 on Friday night for my team but I ordered the NHL center ice package trough my cable company so I'll be able to take in a lot of games starting tomorrow. That Zetterberg is quite the player.

You should go catch a Jackets game when you get a chance Steve. I'm sure you will be hooked after just seeing one game live.

14. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My son will be here tonight to watch his Sabers play on OLN. (he does not get that channel so he drives 45 min. to my house) He plays street hockey (goalie) and has all the equipment. The interesting nights are when The Black Hawks play the Sabers.
    Bill
    Go Hawks!

15. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    That is a true hockey fan that will drive 45 minutes just to watch his team play on TV. I'm sure it is a good time at your place when the Sabres and Hawks meet!!! Because of work today the only game I'll be able to watch is the Avalanche vs Stars game, I'm looking forward to it! Enjoy the games!!!

16. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Gotta love the PENS!!! I can't put down the Bruins or the Avs either!!! Gonna try to get back into it this year. Me and ol SudDawg are gonna try to make it to some minor leauge games in Omaha.

Aaron

TA2D

17. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    The Pens are going to be a fun team to watch this year, there is a lot of young talent on that team. I like that the Bruins have Charra now, I always enjoy watching the bruins play. I'm not an Avs fan at all, I think the Avs are gonna have a tough season ahead of them starting tonight in Dallas.

Minor league games are fun, I wish I had a team a little closer that I could go and watch.

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Just wanted to say - "Lets Go Pens!"

19. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Pens play tonight, their first game of the season. Should be a good one!

20. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    wings took a 3-1 hit yesterday. OUCH!