hobie cats

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by steinomyte, May 26, 2008.

1. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    what you all think about the hobie cats mirage kayaks? I would like to by one eventually.

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    they have advantages and disadvantages. The ability to use your feet to power the kayak is great when fishing but in the really shallow water I fish in (less than a foot sometimes) they don't work all that well. Best advice I can give you is to test ride several kayaks in the same type of water you will be fishing in then make your decision. Different boats for different folks.

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    If there is some reason you cannot paddle, (disability or age) they are great. But if you are perfectly able to paddle there are some kayaks out there that perform beter for alot less money. I personally have never paddled one so this is just my opinion, but I have read alot of reviews. Like jerry said, you cant go very shallow, I've also seen quite a few comments about the mirage drive breaking, They are wide, and sit a little higher in the water so you will catch more wind. The good side is that they supper stable and are easy to troll while you fish but the steering lever is in a spot that may be difficult to get to while you have a pole in your hands. If your looking for something you can pedal check out heritage kayaks, they are just bringing a new pedal yak to the market, but I dont know anything about it yet. Like I said before this is just my opinion so read as many reviews as you can and try to take one out for a test pedal. Hope to see you on the water soon.

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Hey rush, is that a Liquid Logic manta ray you are in? My wife has a manta 14 in yellow. Great fishing yak and much faster than my OK big Game..

5. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    thanks you all. i dont plan on buying anything righ away especailly the way gas prices are right. Just looking in to it out of interest.

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Noah,

Check out http://www.nativewatercraft.com/. Here is another option for pedalcraft.

I really like what Native Watersports is doing. The Heritage and Native boats are well engineered, with great attention given to detail. There is simply a quality in the manufacturing that is apparent both above deck and below the hatches.

They are growing rapidly and are aggressively managed. They make boats, period. They don't make play craft, like Ocean. They don't make kids toys and boxes like Pelican. They make boats, good boats.

I wish that I had invested heavily in Native early last year (I assume they are publicly traded). They are a company to watch!

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

Yes it is. I really enjoy paddling it. It glides forever, and with me (160 lbs) has about 4 inches of draft. I think for my next yak though I might go with the rtm disco. I hate the color scheme, and you would have to upgrade the seat but the speed is supposedly simular to touring SINK's

8. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    joel,

Thanks for link to the native watercraft site. I like the way they have their kayaks set up. It looks perfect for the river that like to float.

9. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    on those native's can put a portable livewell on them??

10. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I believe you can depending on the size your thinking of. Check out kfs website in the do it yourself forums section. You can find how to build just about anything for your yak on there.

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Casey has a great idea. I have seen instructions on the KFS forums for building your own live "well" out of a five-gallon bucket (or smaller). They used PVC piping to draw water through one scupper hole, aerate it, send it into the bucket, and drain the overflow out the other!

In this picture: http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2352&c=member&imageuser=7686, you can see that I have a cooler behind the seat and a bucket behind that. I now carry the bucket behind the seat and a soft-side cooler in the rear. The kayak has a specific cutout just for a five-gallon bucket (as well as a crate or cooler). Directly under the bucket are two open scupper holes for draining the cargo well. These holes can be used to supply the live bait well. You could make one yourself fairly easily.

12. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Yeah I got a five gallon bucket set up that built. It has lid i drilled out them middle a took some air tubing from my aquarium with aerator attach to that. I just need to get a portable air pump. I plan using for fishing on the bank and on a kayak when I get one.

13. weinerdog

weinerdog New Member

State:
    Florida
    I personally love Hobie's pedal kayaks. It's a blast fishing from them and the pedal drive makes it easy to hold in current. If you get too shallow you can pull the pedals out and switch to paddling. The only down side is that the Hobie is a bit of a tank under paddle. They are also a little pricey. Most of my friends who kayak are now switching to Hobie's or adding one to their fleet. The fishing is just sooo much easier when you have both hands free. If you really, really, want to have a blast try the Adventure Island. You can sail it (and troll), take the sail and outriggers off (and troll or troll/cast combo), or take everything off and paddle. (But why? It's too much fun with either the pedals or sail.)

I havent quite figured out how to catfish from it yet though. I've been thinking about trying to drift fish for 'em in the daytime but haven't tried it out yet.