hmm shotgun vs squirrel and load statement

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by flatheadchris, Nov 5, 2006.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    well i went hunting and brought my shotgun[12 gauge],and everyone i was with was useing 5 and 6 shot.i used a 7 1/2.after we was done we went back to clean the squirrel,well everyone was talking about getting all the pellets out of the squirrels and everyone that used the 5/6 shot had pellets all in there meat and before we went hunting they said my 7/8 shot wouldnt do well enough.well it did great and out of all the squirrels i killed not 1 had a pellet in it.i suggest useing the 7 1/2 shot for any shotgunnin squirrel hunts.:embarassed:

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I am a rifle guy when it comes to squirrel hunting. However a few years back, I use to use a 410ga, with #4 shot. It was very effective at 30 to 35 yards. Not many pellets in the meat, and the #4 shot had enough Knock down power at close range.
    You must remember each gun shoots different. So, Chris, if your 12ga and #7 1/2 shot works well for you, thats what I would stick with. My small 410ga doesn't have the power a 12ga. does, that is why I went with #4 shot.
    If you want to sharpen you eye and your woodsmen skills for deer season, try still hunting with a .22 rifle. Good foot placement first, then good ball placement. After you have snuck up on a few bushy tails and place that ball right in the noggin, (no pellets in the meat at all, No blood shot either) you will have sharpened your skills for deer hunting. You might even find yourself leaving the shotgun home when you go to the squirrel woods.
    The main thing is, enjoy your time in the woods.
    Sparky

3. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    well it was just a basic shotgun,topper model 88.single shot break open.i just wished it had threads for a choke.im debating on selling it or about 75 bucks and getting a pump.i have a reminton 22lr but i can hit anything with it,and ive shot everything from a 45 cal,to a 30-06 and i hit dead point everytime.im useing them 99 cents boxes of federal for the hunting,is that just very low end ammo or is it the gun? rifling is in awesome condition.ive tried setting my sights and it wont hit where i want it to hit.im not a scope guy either,i like my open sights:lol:

4. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I would much rather hunt with my 22 just for the fact it gives them a little more sporting chance and it a whole lot funner. As far as your 22 goes I would but a little bit better ammo and give it a try. You will find it much more challenging. You could also take your rifle to a gun smith and make sure there is nothing wrong with the rifling of the barrel or the crown because some times beauty is only skin deep some times. You may need to get out and just practice and a 22 is a great way to hone your skills.

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i used my .410 today.. with 6 shot.. worked great... plus i feel like i have to get in closer to the squirrel

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    when i go squirrle huntin, i use my 870 12ga. with 7 1/2 shot, and i do fine, but i only use it when theres leaves on the trees, cuz i hate havein to wait for ever to try and get a good shot with nothing in the way. when theres no leaves tho, man im usein my .22 and hittin from 75 yards or more LOL