Hmm, Cats caught on plastic baits...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Spongiform, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I spent the better part of the last week camped out on the point of a nice cove and fishing every morning and every evening. I've tried to keep atleast 1 cat pole in the water (sometimes up to 4) with various baits/sizes. Chicken and beef liver, worms, catapillars (both fresh and mush in a bottle). Live and cut bait (locally caught bream).

All that and I only caught 1 small (2lbish) channel cat. However, during the day I've been bass/crappie fishing and have caught 3 cats on plastic grubs!

I think these catfish are confused. They ignore my cut bait and go for my plastic bait. The only thing I can think of is that my 'bass feast' scent should be called 'catfish feast' scent instead. Maybe I should use some on my catfish bait? :-D

Here's some pics to illustrate

Attached Files:

2. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    WHAT EVER WORKS AT THE TIME GO FOR IT.SOUNDS LIKE A ENJOYABLE OUTING.:big_smile:

3. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Brian, the cats are up close to the banks, do to the spawn, thats why you catch them when bass and crappie fishing, the cats follow these fish to the shallows to feed on them and on their eggs, try fishing closer to the bank for cats and if you catch and clean some crappie lay the egg sacks out in the sun until the sack dries out enough to get on a hook and fish with that, good luck.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice fish, Brian! nice looking Channel Cats.

5. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I use artificial baits most of the time. All of my PB's have been caught with 3 ounce diamond spoons or 1/2 ounce saltwater jigheads with white grubworms. But I usually fish below large dams. Here's a couple of pictures of my favorite baits.

6. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    oops, I couldn't get those pictures to upload:confused2:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like an interesting trip. There is actually a good article in the annual catfish guide the references artificial baits for cats.