Hiwasee River Catfishing

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Spongiform, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'll be camping for two weeks up by the hiwassee river in late jan / early feb this year - It'll be up in the mountains. Has anyone done any catfishing up that way? I'll be pretty close to Reliance TN.

My main goal is to do some trout fishing as theres ZERO trout except stocked ponds where I live. But if there's catfish there too, I'd love to supplement my fishing/diet with a few catfish too!

I'd appreciate any info/tips/links etc :D

~
    Spongiform

2. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    The Tennessee state record flathead comes from the Hiwassee! Unfortunatley, you will be in the cold reaches of the river near Reliance and it is doubtful that the catfishing is much up that far. Considerably downriver, nearer where the Hiwassee meets the Tennessee river, is much better for the cats - blue, channel and flathead.

3. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If I can catch a few dinner size catfish, I'll be more then happy. I don't eat the catfish I catch near home - the rivers are funky. But up there, it's pristine and seeing as i'll be pretty much on my own for 2 weeks, any extra fresh food will be a good thing!

4. cottonmouth

cottonmouth New Member

State:
    southeast tn
    If you are in reliance go on up to the powerhouse , there are trout in there but walk across the bridge and up the railroad tracks about a mile (no joke) there is a good hole up there some nice fish come out of ,over 40 pounds!! use hornyheads cought on corn for bait p.s. you can cast all the way across that hole but you might not hit the bottom,she's deep enough that the local rumor is that there are a few train cars off in it !!!

5. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been up to the power station a couple times over the years. Before 9/11 you could go up to the top of it and look down those big water pipes.

This time i'm not going to have a vehicle. Just getting dropped off at the campsites and then i'm on my own for 2 weeks. So I got a google map of the area and it looks like I can get to the power station from the campsites by following the creek trail to the railroad then following that up to the station. I'll have a mountain bike so thats not a terribly long ride.

Can you look at my map and see if I have it marked correctly?

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5214/lostcreekmapyd6.jpg

I'm gonna be packing pretty light so I should be able to move camp pretty easy too, so if the fishing is real good up that way I might just relocate up there somewhere.

6. cottonmouth

cottonmouth New Member

State:
    southeast tn
    thats it man ,just go untl you think you have went to far and go a little farther you should be able to tell where all the other people have been there fishing already. The river gets real small where it is running through the big rocks before you get to it but that hole is used alot and you should be able to find it

7. cottonmouth

cottonmouth New Member

State:
    southeast tn
    i dont know about this time of yearbut if they are not biting up there the hiwassee is a trophy stream for trout down below the powerhouse through big bend and places maybe even some smallmouth on the shoals ,all good eatin' but that water is mighty cold so you better be carefull

8. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's the plan. Catfish, trout, bass - whatever I can catch. I've got a little fishing kit set up with a mixture of jigs, worms, flies and catfish hooks/weights. Should be good to go!

If things work out my way I'll be having some kind of fish for dinner every night.

9. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Good luck on the trip Brian.

10. cottonmouth

cottonmouth New Member

State:
    southeast tn
    It looked like you are going to be up on lost creek. There have been some nice rainbows caught there in years past, might luck up and get a big un, right next to camp. Good luck.

11. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm going to start out at the official creek campgrounds and then work my way around and down towards the river. I'll be mountain-bike backpacking around so I hope to camp in a bunch of different spots (close to fishing :D).
    I'm in the process of dehydrating a ton of fruits, veggies and meats to take.

My base foods will be rice and grits. Then i'll have dried apples, bananas, carrots, sweet onion, bell pepper, jalepeno, garlic and green onion. Then 5 lbs of beef jerky, 1 lb of smoked ham. I'm aiming for about 20 lbs of fresh food dehydrated down to about 5 lbs. 5 lbs of rice and a few lbs of grits. Ideally, i'll supplement that with fish.

The idea is to eat good, healthy food but lightweight and easy to carry around - and it has to last 2 weeks.

If I run out i'll have to hoof it over to the general store and restock, so I should be ok.