Hitting Columbia Bottoms and/or Alton Wednesday afternoon

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jul 10, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Any suggestions or advice on boat ramps (preferably from the Missouri side), bait locations and of course strategy appreciated.

I am heading out Wednesday afternoon about 2:30, on vacation Thursday/Friday.

Thanks, never fished this area.

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Wish I could join ya Darryl, but have to work. I'll be back out there this weekend, and early next week. Good Luck.

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I may fish it again Sat or Sun, wife is out of town on business.

Got skunked at Lock and Dam 25 last night.

4. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I got bait at the confluence of the Missouri/Mississippi river using sabiki rigs. Caught maybe 30 skipjack in about 90 minutes Sunday morning.

I'll probably go after more bait Wednesday night after work.

5. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I can send you a detailed map of where not to go between 5:00-10:30am if you like. You can catch all the shad and mini asian carp you want at the mouth of the first slough on the right as you head down from Alton Dam, but Cuz suggested this may not be the best type of bait right now. Other than that, I am basically useless.

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Holy Moly Greg,

Sounds like you are still beating yourself up from getting skunked the other night.

If I did that I'd be pretty beat up most of the time. LOL

I try to roll with the punches and tell myself that at least I am out on this beautiful river FISHIN'.

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oh yeah, in response to TODD. I need to try one of them Sabiki thingy's (after I figure out what it is). Will a cast net get the skippy's?

I'll definately be in the area on Wednesday evening. If you want to try and meet up, PM me. I'll have my cell or VHF radio on the boat.

8. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Generally you will not catch many skipjacks in castnets.

You can get sabicki rigs at Bass Pro.

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Ed,

I guess I need a skipjack education then.

I got a few last week in my cast net but that was unusual for me. I was in a different spot than where I usually throw it though. I was in the current right below the dam.

I normally mostly fish with goldeye but can't say that I have done too well so far.

10. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    As someone who wasn't aware of what a sabiki rig was, I did some research and I'm going to have to check them out...definitely sounds like a force multiplier for getting bait.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Here ya go guys.

http://www.squidjig.com/fishinggear/sabiki_jigs.htm

You can make your own using crappie jigs as well. I've found these things are cheap enough to have a few on hand. They make quick work of the Skippys and mooneyes when they are running. Sometimes you can catch 2 and 3 at a time. They are a hoot on light tackle too.