Hitchhikers...what do you think?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by elphaba7, May 10, 2006.

1. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Yesterday, I saw a fellow standing on the side of the interstate wearing an Army t-shirt, with what appeared to be a duffel bag by his side. I passed him by, feeling a big twinge of guilt in my gut. They truth is that I would have liked to have stopped, given him a ride, and shaken his hand, but being a female alone in the truck, with the twins with me, I was unwilling to take the risk of picking up a stranger. My husbands best-friends father was murdered by a hitchhiker he picked when Nathan was still in his mothers womb. How was I to know if he truly was a military man?

I dunno, what are your thoughts on picking up hitch hikers?

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I pick em up sometimes. Its a judge and go with the gut thing.

I may be a bit biased, but I would not like my wife to do it at all.... though I've never said that to her.

If I see he is handicapped or hurt, then yes. If he looks like I can beat 5 shades of snot out of him if he crosses a line, no problem. If its a girl, no problem.

If its a drunk, let him stagger it off himself.

It's a judge by the case deal.

I usually dont have any money, no kids, nothing of value, and my truck aint worth a dern. Maybe some day Ill change all that and my rules will tighten up.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've never picked one up and don't think I ever will. It's not worth the risk to me.

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We just picked up a young college student whose car broke down out on the four lane. It was raining. I reckon it's a selective process, depending on ones situation. I wouldn't recommend any females by themselves picking anybody unknown to them up, regardless of their uniform. I wanna go back to the 50's when life was much simpler.

Always proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I never pick up hitchhikers. I consider it too much risk and I armed!

I guarantee my wife would never pick up one.

6. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Its definately a case by case basis.
    If I see someone stranded, raining and my gut says go. I've picked them up.
    I usually offer to make a call for them first or take them to the nearest gas station.
    thanks
    Larry

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lol, same here Sal. i was on my way to my my dads once in Oak Hill W.Va from my place in Dayton Ohio (300 miles) and picked up an older fella about a half hour into the trip, my guess he was 60-65. turns out he was headed to a place about 3 miles from where my dad lives! this poor soul had hitchhiked all the way to the upper peninsula of Michigan to attend his mothers funeral and was on his way back. its a good thing i picked him up because when we got about 10 miles from Charleston W.Va, 70 miles from my dads, there was a major traffic jam on the highway due to road construction and a major wreck. this old fella said "no problem", he took me a "back way" to my dads from there saving my God knows how much time waiting in that jam. it all depends on the situation for me....

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    It is a case by case basis. If I feel LED to give someone a ride, or feel that it is safe, I will.

9. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I picked up a couple a of guys a few years ago on Christmas day. They were at the gas station a block from my parents and wanting to go a couple miles down the road to a bar. I said what the hell, it's Christmas. I ended up having no problems, but I don't think it was really the best thing to do.

If I was a girl, I wouldn't ever pick someone up.

10. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I,ve picked up a few that ran out of gas, tookem to the station then back to the car. As for the ones on the side of the road for no reason but to get around, well get a job. I know some can't help it but most can. A bus ticket is only $65 to go just about anywhere you want too. I used to be homeless bout ten 10 years ago and climbed out of the hole. And it didn't take long at all. Sorry if I sound like an a$$ but what can I say..

Matt

11. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I use to pick them up every now and then, till we ran into a bad situation, and things ended up pretty bad. After that I just don't take that chance, one close call is enough for me, I'm just glad I had someone else with me. I would not advise anyone to do it. Even if they are wearing a shirt that says ARMY or holding a bible.

12. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I will not pickup a hitch hiker at all never. I stopped and gave a lift to two gals that were broke down by the road and as we were going down the road they tried to rob me and take my truck guess they were imtimidated by the fact i had a 9mm and they had a 22 lol since then i refuse to pick anyone up unless I know them. To many crazys out there anymore.

13. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    You just can't tell and you only have to be wrong once . I am retired miltary and think that the average solider is salt of the earth but crime on military bases by soliders on soliders go on just like any where else. See you on the fish bank some time

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    John I had a similar situation happen to me like that exept the guy got me while I was outside of my Truck. The whole time I was thinking that Ill ram the truck into something but I didnt, he had a knife in my nether regions if you know what I mean and I didnt want to lose anything if you get my drift. I was told after that if I did crash my truck and he got hurt or worse I could have been charged go figure.

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Would I pick up a hitchhiker?

Don't depends, I guess it depends on how cute she was. :lol: , Just Kidding.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    (come on now, many of you were thinking it, I just happened to be the one that said it.)

17. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    As Most Everyone Else Has Said, It Is Truly A Case By Case Situation. The First Point I Would Like To Make Is That There Is A Definate Difference Between What I Term As A Hitchhiker And Someoene That Is Stranded,AKA, Broke Down.

I Feel That Most People That Are "Broke Down" Are Probably No Risk Or At Least Less Of One. The People That I Feel Are Really Hitchhikers I Don't P/U Because They Are Usually "Street People" And Probably Have Little Or Nothing To Lose By Commiting A Crime, Whatever Type It May Be.

Next, I Would Like To Add That While I Do My Best To Help Those Out In Need, I'm Probably At Less Risk Than Most. I Train Police K-9's And Have One With Me Most Of The Time & I Also Am Armed, Along With Being Firearms Trained.

Lastly But Not Leastly(Improper English), I Don't Have A Wife Or Girlfriend At This Time But If I Did I Sure As Hell Wouldn't Condone Them Picking ANYONE Up, Elliot:eek:oooh:

18. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I've been on both sides of the thumb. Nowadays if I am alone I will stop. If I am with the kids or my wife I will not pick anyone up. I will however stop and ask if everything is OK or if a phone call needs to be made or anything. One of my pet peeves is when I see a state trooper go by without stopping. Last time I checked it say serve and protect on Ohio cruisers. They can pull you over in a heartbeat, however stopping to assist a stranded motorist doesn't bring in any revenue.

19. rebrown35

rebrown35 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I did - once. And it will not EVER happen again.

20. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Never have and never will. When I was in high school, a teacher there stopped to see if a guy with a broken down car needed help and the guy killed him. Turned out this character had done that several times. You just can't trust strangers period. I still feel guilty every time I pass one by, but I just won't do it.