Hitch Hikers

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by copycat, Jul 27, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    How does everybody feel about hitch hikers, do you pick them up? I used to see them a lot more years ago than today.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Not for the faint of heart.

I wanted to post something to try and help all members.

I know I joke alot and we have fun on here but please read the following from Friday night.

I had 3 closings Friday night, all up in north eastern Ohio. 1 in Ashtabula County, and 2 in Mahoning County. This was over 600 miles round trip and about 13 hours on the road.

After my 2nd closing outside of Youngstown I got a call and they wanted to add one more in Youngstown. So, I had to hunt down a Kinkos/Fedex to print the package.

I left my 2nd closing around 8:30 and was driving down the Freeway. I seen a car with it's blinkers on and slowed down. I dont always stop, just get a bad feeling sometimes. But, I drive so much that it may be me in need one day so I help when I can.

I pulled over and the guy was nicely dressed. Probably mid 40's and clean cut. I asked him if he needed help. He said, "Yeah, heading to Youngstown and car ran out of gas, but in a big hurry, can you get me there".

So, I said yeah, and he hopped in the back seat. The front seat had a ton of loan docs and such on it so he just climbed in the back before I could move em.

Probably 15 miles outside of Youngstown so off we went. I asked him how he was doing and such, no response. Thought maybe he did not hear me, radio on and such. Asked him what he did for a living, noticed he got in the car with a briefcase. Told him I was in real estate and was driving all over the place to try and get this loan closed. Still, nothing.

Well, about 8-10 minutes went by of dead air. The guy just kept staring at his suitcase which really freaked me out. It takes alot to scare me and I tell ya what, I was pretty freaked out. I grabbed my phone and called the wife just so she was on the other line. I did not know what this guy was doing or if he was a weirdo.

We were getting close to Youngstown and I asked him where he needed to go. Told him I was glad I could help him out. He then started to open up a little. Just told me he had a rough day and wanted to get home. So, I sure felt alot better. He told me to go to the next exit and his house was about a mile up the road. So, I said no problem.

Got about a mile from the exit and I asked him again, what he did for a living. This is where I really got scared.

He told me "Don't F-in worry about what I do for a living or what is in the F-in Briefcase" Talk about a heart stopper, I was really scared now. The guy just snapped for no reason. I quicly picked up the phone and called the wife again so the guy could not see me just in case anything happened. I wanted her to know what was going on.

I then pulled up to the light at the exit. I seen a gas station at the exit ramp, pulled into it. I then got out of the car and told him I had to get something to drink, had a long ride home. I got out of the car and told him to get out, I dont mind helping but I was in a hurry. I was late for the closing. He jumped out of my car and ran down the street. He left his briefcase in my car on the floorboard, he left in such a hurry.

I was so releived to say the least. I called the wife and told her I loved her. She was scared. I dont mind helping strangers but you never know folks. I then went to my next closing and did not get home until around 1:30 in the morning. I was so tired. I had to see what was in the briefcase though. I know that I probably should not of but I wanted to know what the guy snapped over. In it I found a small knife, calculater, pencils and pens, some weird tape. I also found a sack of crap just like I'm feeding you. Got Ya!!

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    The reason I brought this topic up was because today I saw this guy trying to hitch hike. He was in a very populated area and he had a small cooler with him, I could see he was getting really mad at traffic cause no one would stop.

4. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It all depends on the situation. If it were an elderly person, yes. But I agree with Jim, there are too many freaks out there.:crazy:

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I wouldn't pick one up. I don't trust people enough to do it.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I can honestly say that 99% of em I pass up on. Every now and then I pick one up, just because. No reason why, it just seems like God is telling me to help.

If they are at a ramp and this is the first time I have seen them. (I say this because I see many of them at the same street corner week after week) I try and give them a few dollars or if I am going back that way will pick up a value meal for em. Better then nothing I guess.

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Dang Tea, you got me good brother! This means WAR!!! LOL:cool2:

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Good advice Arlington. the mrs always wants me to stop and offer aid to people stranded at night and I always responde why you trying to collect on the life insurance already? Then she says but your so big and my answer is a gun is the great equalizer and I can't fight a bullet.

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    If any one would have good advice about this, I know it's you John. Thanks buddy!

10. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    wont ever find a hitch hiker in my vehicles ever.

11. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    It's been probably 20 years since I last picked up a hitchhiker on the highway. If someone that was hunting or fishing was broke down then I'd do what I could though.....depending on circumstances.

12. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have picked up a few in the yrs I have been trucking.I havent for a long time and don't know if I would anymore, depends on the situation I geuss.
    Some had some interesting stories about their life and what they were doing, some just slept. All were appreciative. I know it prolly wasn't a smart thing to do, but I did it.
    I still stop to help people who are stranded,depending on the situation. I just hope someone will stop for me if I need help! Again, It's just who and I am, I can't drive by someone who is stranded and just let em stand there and struggle. JMHO

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Used to back in the 60/70's but no more ,not after a friend of mine picked up a guy one night,and he didn't make it back home. Found him next day dead.

14. countrygirl0569

countrygirl0569 New Member

State:
    Kentucky

I remember that one, lol, you had it on before lol
    Didn't get me this time!! lol
    But as for hitch hikers...I wouldn't take the chance with em

15. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    A cute girl like yourself better not be picking up any men off the freeway, unless it's me ofcourse.....

16. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    just my two cents worth.

as a rule, I dont pick anyone one up. I have and do stop and offer help from time to time. No one that i dont know gets in my truck.

ps.... tea you got me good.

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've never picked up a hitchhiker.. unless I knew them.

18. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv picked up a few it all depends on the vibes i get you can usually feel out the person by there looks or actions when you stop and talk to them ,i have a cell phone and have called for help for others before . i was hitch hiking when i was 20 and caught several rides some people wont stop if you laying in the road they would just swirve around you and go on . i caught a ride from two drunks one nite back then and ended up driving while they slept i drove all the way thru georga had to stop once and roll one of them for gas and oil money ,i wasnt paying for it wasnt my car ,i put 4 quarts of oil and 20 gallon of gas in their car and fed myself thanks to them , drove from valdosta to the tenessee line ,they thanked me and went on their way man those were the days lol

19. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Tea I'm lucky my dad told me a different version of that story a couple of days ago. You would have got me. Other than that I don't ever pick em up. I'm never packin, so I wouldn't be able to defend myself and I don't see any reason to risk my life when I can avoid danger. Just my opinion...

20. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I stop but they won't get in! LOL!