Hitch ball

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by dwreel, Feb 15, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I've never seen anythig written about greaseing the hitch ball. Is it good idea or just not necessary? The connector has it's own ground wire. Seems in my younger days it was considered neccessary.

2. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i always grease mine. every bump and turn theres alot of friction there. not to mention the weight pulling against it. your coupling and lock will thank you.

3. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I never grease mine. Grease traps dust that creates an abrasive surface between the hitch and the ball. Hitch balls are polished so you don't have to use grease.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    This is a very good question. I would love to hear a debate on this.

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I don't grease mine. It's bad enough busting your shin when you walk into it. I wouldn't want to ruin my pants too.

6. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I don't grease mine, grease will hold grit and become like valve grinding compound.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I've never greased the ball myself, just the moving parts of the hitch.

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Never have greased mine.

9. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    spray silicone on the hitch to keep it working smooth, but keep the ball dry, NO GREASE!

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    If I have a crome ball I won't. A plain steel one I will. Hate the grease getting all over tho.
    Bill

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hmm I must use my hitch more then others. My polished crome ball only stayed that way for Ohhhhh maybe a month or so. Now it's a well used tool that has proven rust on it.

12. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    There is a reason they make ball covers for your ball. It is to keep the grease off you knee when you smack it. I always clean my ball and put grease on it before i hook up to the boat. saying dont grease it is almost as bad as saying dont grease the 5th wheel on my pete. for the average guy they can get away without greasing a good quality hitch ball but for me ill grease mine no squeaks back there when i tow it makes for smoother towing plus i love it when i dont clean the grease off after towing i get to watch my neighbor get grease on himself :p

13. phatcat

phatcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    A little grease or silacone is good just wipe it off between trips , you wont have any trouble with the sand & dirt grinding the ball. PHATCAT

14. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    I have a gooseneck stock trailer that gets pulled alot. I did not grease it for one summer and wore down the ball on the top rolled edges severely & I now grease it frequently! Same as my fifth wheel travel trailer.

I was luck with the stock trailer that all that got wore this time was the ball and not the hitch. The small amount of work involved & problems are well spent time compared to wearing out a hitch on a trailer. Replacement trailer gooseneck=$150.00, replacement fifth wheel hitch=$200.00, and replacing a trailer ball hitch=$50.00. So I take the time to grease or wipe off as the case may be.

I have seen boat trailer hitches get sloppy from lack of grease provided they get a lot of pull time. All my trailers seem to get a lot of pull time.

Just my .02 worth. Maybe you guys that don't grease the ball have better luck than I do.

Frank

15. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I grease my ball and when I'm done I just take a paper towel and wipe off the excess. I did use ball covers but the local kids steal them.

16. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I usually spray some wd-40 or light oil inside the coupler on the trailer every now and then. I've had some balls wear due to lack of lubrication, but I usually buy the cheapest balls I can get anyway.

How many of you ever take the time to make sure the coupler is adjusted properly? I mean the bolt that holds the piece than clamps under the edge of the ball.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Grumpy,I check mine all the time.It makes an interesting cocktail conversation to tell your friends about the time your boat passed you on the highway but generally the boat doesn't fish worth a damn afterwards :crying: I grease my ball with a special grease made just for that purpose which I get at West Marine and if I remember I'll post the name when I get home.It is very tenacious,has teflon, prevents corrosion etc and a little goes a long way.Never had a problem with it attracting grit ,sand etc because I wipe the ball frequently when not towing and keep a cover on the ball.It is a light color also.I made the leap a few years ago and bought a stainless steel receiver and hitch ball and would never go back to chrome.They still look brand new without a spec of rust or corrosion on either one.:)

18. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    never grease mine, dont think its too necessary

19. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    A buddy of mine and I were discussing this last nite. He was telling me that he was a firm believer in not greasing his ball, well one day when he was towing his bassboat her kept hearing this bad grind crunch noise when he would turn all the way to the lake and about 3 blocks from his home his trailer dropped it had ground the metal away in the coupler till it gave out. so now he is a firm believer in grease like he says only takes a minute to wipe it off. and then pull the hitch and put it away.

20. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    stainless steel versus chrome plated.. which do you prefer? i myself have a new stainless steel hitch and ball.. should it be greased? thanks kenny