Hit Wasington County

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfisherman369, Jul 18, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Hit Wasington County lake tonight caught 8 flatheads and 6 channels all from 3 to 15 pounds . Gave the channels to a friend who is just starting to catfish and threw the flats back in . They was hitting kinda weak just tapping the bait . At least we caught some it has been pretty tough catching more then 2 or 3 around here . We was using cut shad and secret 7 .

2. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Congrats Floyd on the good night of fishing! I didn't know there were flatheads in that lake. I grew up fishing there with my grandparents and still fish there to this day and have never caught or seen one pulled out of there. What kind of structure were you fishing, logs, flats, dropoffs, or what? I'm not asking for your honey holes, just curious. Anyway, congratulations and good job on the catch and release with the big guys!:wink:

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have been fishing it on a regular basis since 1991 and never caught a flat out of it till 2000 . The first one I got out of there was 34 pounds caught it at the boat docks near the no wake bouy . I was shocked so I started fishing one pole with shad and the other with dip bait , stink bait , livers etc. for channels and it isnt nothing to catch a few flats with the shad .

I fish all over that lake mainly in the back ( north part of lake ) but last night we was fishing near the dam . Was mainly trying for channels and turned out catching more flats then channels . Also caught a fair share of yellow bellies and a little turtle .

When I go out there for flats I usually go to the north of the lake and stick to the left side . Where the lilly pads are . There is a nice drop off there and always pull a few flats out of there . The 34 pounder is the biggest I seen caught there , but I am sure they have caught bigger . It always seems the ones I catch are from 12 to 15 pounds . The channels that get into those lilly pads are fat ones it aint nothing to catch 20+ channels with in a few hours all 5 to 10 pounds .

I usually fish shad in the drop off and sonnies dip bait right next to the lilly pads or genos with a light up bobber right next to the lilly pads .

I was shocked at the flats being near the damn last night as thick as they were . It was really dark out there last night , might have had something to do with it , and it was really cool .

Anyway yes there is flatheads in Washington County . I was also told there was blues but have never caught one out of there or seen one caught out of there .

4. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois
    What a surprise! I've fished there all my life and never knew this. I've caught plenty of 10 - 15 lb Channels but never a blue or a flathead. I'll have to keep this in mind next time. For now I'm focusing on the Kaskaskia near Fayetteville. I caught a 6 lb Flathead and a 15 lb blue the other night and hope to get back there soon. I'm TOTALLY new to river fishing. I'm new here and will surely be asking for help! What a great site!

5. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I've been fishing there since the 70's. In the early years I caught mostly Yellow Belly Bullheads, now I catch mostly Flatheads. Never have caught many Channels there.

6. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow. I've always caught channels on cut shad. I'm thinking I should try for flats.... where and with what are you fishing?? Thanks for the info.