Hit the James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by JTR, Jun 4, 2007.

1. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    I fished the james basically for the first time sat eve, first cast was a 2.5lb smallie next eight casts caught 3 more around a pound. I was pumped to say the least!! I then set up on my fav cat hole and caught 4 channels between 3 and 8 pounds. I kept the 3 and 4 pound cats for a Sun morning brunch:smile2: Can't wait till the weekend!!!!!!!!!!

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    are you fishing at upper james?

3. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    F150, when I go its usually somewhere between Bent Creek and Richmond.

4. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    ah i see just wonder, sometimes I went on upper james and fishing for smallmouth bass, theres nice sizes smallmouth bass and some channels. I was fishing by near Scottsville between Howardsville.

5. flat toad

flat toad New Member

State:
    Wv but currently in VA
    where can you fish the richmond area without a boat?

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You can fish the heart of big cat waters below Richmond straight from the bank. Just go to Dutch Gap and there is plenty of bank access. Osbourne Landing has a fishing pier, and Deep Bottom people fish off the dock all the time.

7. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    JPritch,
    You can walk the trails through the James River park system and fish from the bank in many places or you can rock hop out in the river which is what I do alot. When the water gets low I rather fish from the rocks than lug a boat around. my bro and I went yesterday for an hour or so and caught a few before the storms flooded us out.

Attached Files:

8. flat toad

flat toad New Member

State:
    Wv but currently in VA
    thanks for the info on bank fishing in richmond...but I dont know any of those places you mentioned. can you Pm me a map or directions

9. MilitaryCatfish

MilitaryCatfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was at James River park yesterday evening and all day today.

Yesterday a few fellas got a couple of decent sized Channel Cats while was there and hooked into a 33" Gar as well.

Today I managed to get two nice sized Channels and a flathead all over 14"
    I also had nearly pulled in a Bowfin of pretty large proportions. Nearly had him to the bank and made the old mistake of trying to pull him out of the water by the line. Snapped 14lb Mono Cajun Line in a jiffy.

10. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    good looking fish take a look under catfishing america tv an see what they have been pulling out of the james river

11. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    Heading to the James tonight,hopefuly the bite will be on.....have you seen the 89 lb Bobby Self caught not to long ago:big_smile:

Attached Files:

12. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Went up and put in on the James at Monocan Park last night around 6:30. Catching bluegill for bait, had around 14 or so in the livewell within about 30 minutes, they were almost jumping in the boat it seemed.
    Catfish bite a lot slower fished from around 8:30-12:00 caught two flatheads, one around 8 and the other around 6 lbs or so. Also caught one channel about 3 1/2 lbs on one rod rigged with nightcrawlers. Not the busiest night but the weather was perfect and enjoyed the solitude!

13. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Is Monocan Park off rt 130 in Amherst? Seems like I've seen signs but can't remember exactly where. How is the water in that area as in is a canoe alright or should I be fishing in a bigger boat.
    Thanks
    Chip

14. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Monocan park is off of 130 in Amherst county. They have a nice ramp and water varies from about 18 ft in places to 2 or 3 feet in others. You would be fine in a canoe and would be best to go upstream, as you get further up the river the pleasure boaters avoid that area because of shallower water and rocks in places. Can get pretty busy in the summer on weekends in the area of the ramp.