Hit Rend at Waltonville Dam .

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfisherman369, Jul 22, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    We didnt take the boat but went down the dam past the pipe about 50 yards and threw to the edge of the current . Only fished 3 hours and caught 9 channels from 1 to 3 pounds . The water is up and current is flowing . Might take the boat and hit it tomorrow hard . If not then for sure Sunday . Got to take a load of knives down to Pevely Mo. Saturday or I would hit it all weekend .

2. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If they are pumping water take dipbait. I used to go up there and tear the channels up with dipbait. Man I miss being back down south....I gotta get away from this dump and get back down south.
    Chris

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    you can throw for shad right there were the water flows through. thats were i have always gotten mine

4. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can definately dip shad there when the water is flowing. Also, the white bass and hybrids should be piled up somewhere close too. And don't forget about the crappie, they'll probably be close too. Essential gear should be: plenty of dipbait and dip worms, white roostertails and little georges, and a couple dozen small minnows and you should be set. Oh and don't forget the cast net to dip some shad either for that day or to put in the freezer. And a cooler full of ice to toss all the fish you're going to catch!
    Man I gotta get back down there.
    Chris

5. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hah.... where are you now Chris? How far north?

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i miss it myself..im only about 1000 miles away.

7. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm only about an hour away now but getting down there is hard to do with work and the kid. I'm living in Belleville and not overly found of the area, but ya gotta go where the work is.
    Speaking of work, any AT&T techs on here?
    Chris

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Hey Chris.. I too am in Belleville. Love the tax hikes don't ya? Haha! Try hitting baldwin if you can. Only about 30 minute drive and has some real nice bluecats in there.

9. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have fished Baldwin a time or two but only after stripers. Right now the motor is down on the boat so there has been no fishing going on. It's about to kill me. I would love to go after the big blues I've been hearing about that coming out of Baldwin, but the depth finder crapped out a few years ago and I've been too cheap to replace it so that makes chasing blues a bit hard. Guess I need to stop being such a cheapskate and get the motor fixed and replace the fish finder!
    Chris

10. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hey - I know how ya feel - I am from far southern Illinois - south of Marion a little town called Goreville....I miss it greatly but gotta work ya know...there's a alot of big blues down there and I always like the idea of being very close to literally hundreds of fishin holes....sucks ya gotta move from the area you love to be able to make aliving - but like it is always said - you gotta do what ya gotta do. Now instead of having so many holes I gotta be satisfied with Sangchris and Lake Springfield (uh make that Lake leptosporosis!!)

11. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I don't know why, but the grass always seems greener on the other side!:confused2: I live in Belleville and I feel that it's the center of some really great fishing. I only have to go an hour, usually 20 minutes or less to find a body of water where there is a posssibility for 50lbers or a mess of eaters, of all 3 species. Although, if I lived up near springfield, I'd love to get a crack at the Sangamon, lake springfield, decatur lake, shelbyville, or sangchris. In any one of those bodies of water, you have the same oppurtunities as you did down south. Just look on the message boards or make a post, I guarantee you that somebody is doing good on one, if not all of those bodies of water. I think we all get so used to fishing in one place, or have a couple good trips there and then think that we won't catch anything anywhere else. You just have to adapt to your situation. I'll bet that it took you a couple of trips to figure out how to catch fish on your favorite body of water back home. The same applies to new bodies of water.
    I know that it may seem like there's just no place like home, at least for a while, yet the beauty in our sport of catfishing allows us to go pretty much anywhere in the country and only be a short drive from some really excellent angling oppurtunities. GOOD LUCK BUD and KEEP AT EM':wink:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    southern illinois is definitly the center of some great fishing. down here they dont even really have flatheads. but im comin home for christmas if im not on a cruise so tell those flats to get ready.

13. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well - its kinda like this - ya gotta live down south before you can really get the jist of the situation. I have been in central Illinois for around 17 years - and I can tell you there are a helluva lot more places to cast a line in Southern Illinois , with greater chances of catching not only more fish , but alot bigger as well.

For fun - let's have a count of places around Springfield to fish for free
    (or at least as free as the state allows) , within 1 hour drive of Spfld
    1) SangChris
    2) Lake Springfield very contaminated -pcbs - almost glows in the dark - fish this one enough and you won't need a lantern while night fishing!!!!
    3)Lake Jacksonville
    4)Lake Decatur - about on the same wavelength as Lake PCB
    5)Otter Lake - one of the best in Central Illinois

Now let's compare to Southern Illinois - same time frame around Marion
    1)Lake Of Egypt
    2)Devils Kitchen
    3)Little Grassy
    4)Dutchman Lake
    5)Marion reservior
    6)Vienna reservoirs
    7)Ferne Clyffe State Park
    8)Crab Orchard
    9)Pomona Lake
    10)Lake Thunderhawk
    11)Kentucky Lake

Take a vacation - head down south....there is a difference...and the farther you go south - Tennessee , Alabama , Georgia ,etc the better it gets for taking on the big ones regularly.

Yes - it is greatly missed......

14. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    you mentioned the Sangamon river too - please if you fish it be very careful about what you eat from there......

15. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    if any of you guys ever need any info on local, state and site specific laws, fish edibility, water pollutants and the like in illinois, call university of illinois extension at
    (618) 242-0780 and my mother will be glad to give you the info:big_smile:

16. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Billy!:0a25: But, since when does a couple of contaminants make fish any less fun to catch? I agree that there may be more spots down south to go(by the way, I didn't see rend lake or the big muddy river on that list?), but there are trophy fish in those waters up there, just the same. Anyway, good luck on your next trip Billy and try to enjoy it!

17. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    the fish in my avatar was caught on the big muddy river. its my favorite spot

18. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I actually thought of both after posting and leaving the site - I do stand corrected as both are good sites as well - and I am sure there are spots in S Ill not mentioned. AS far as contaminants - it depends on what your plans are - catch and release or deep fry....still stand by my guns tho - the south definitely has its advantages...

19. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don't forget Mermet, Rend, Pinckneyville city lake, Herrin city lake, Kinkaid, and Murphysboro city lake!
    Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy running trotlines on the Kaskaskia and the trips I have made to Baldwin I have enjoyed them too, but what I am talking about is the total package. I am a duck hunting addict, catfishing is what I do until I can throw lead at ducks. And around here there are no where near the opportunities to kill ducks that there are down there. And as stated above, the fish get bigger as you head south! Ever seen a crappie from louisianna or mississippi?
    I know rend, crab, kinkaid, and mermet pretty well and at any given time I can go out and catch whetever kind of fish I want to down there. True it did take time to learn those lakes but I had help. My Grandpa started me fishing on crab and cedar (which can be added to the above list too) when I was barely able to walk. My Uncle has fished rend for many many years. Kinkaid many people I know have fished for years. Out of those Mermet is the only one I still need to learn about but it's a small lake and besides it's the duck hunting on that lake that I wanna learn about, though the monster bluegill are nice too.
    I get what you're saying, learn the waters ya got, but it just won't ever be like southern Illinois. Maybe sometime we can get together and I can show you what it's like in the south.
    By the way, Goreville isn't the far south man! Cairo, now that's faaaar south. Ha ha.
    chris

20. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I sure hope ranger rick doesn't catch you with that lead!:wink: DEER HUNTERS DROOL-DUCK HUNTERS RULE!:smile2: