Hinkle Lake - Tried fishing for Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by poisonpits, Oct 7, 2007.

1. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    guys i tried fishing for flatheads in a strange lake sat.nite.the reason i went to hinkle is cause its close and because the ar.game and fish has it listed as a good flathead lake.i didnt catch a fish but i had 4 good runs that im certain were flats.i think my bait was to large for the size fish that was biting.i was using 11 to 12 inch bullheads for bait and they had all the hide gone from the horns to their tails.going next sat.nite and will be taking 3 to 5 inch bullheads and green sunfish.ill let you know kow i do.
    has any of you ever fished this lake and have you done any good.id like to know.

2. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Nope never fished it. But do keep us posted.

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Johnnie, I fished there for cats with jugs, but no fish. I,m not that good at jug fishing.

4. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Never fished it either. But, if they are there then you the man to find them! Let me know how it goes. If i could get up there i would help you out on trying to catch them!

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have never heard of that lake,but that is nothing new, I am a new-be here in Arkansas. I have lived here for about 6 years.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    well i tried hinkle again this time in the daylight.no cats to report on but i did manage to catch some bass.no not for bait my mother said bring some fish home and she rules so i got em.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Johnnie, i went there years ago with one of my uncles and bass fished it. It looks like it would be a good flathead lake but i've just fished it one time.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've heard of that lake, but I've never fished it. When you're using large baits, you might want to consider using a 'stinger' hook. That's basically a second hook that you put in the tail, so that if a cat grabs the fish behind the gills, missing the front hook, it gets hooked by the hook in the tail. If you have any idea that you might want to release the cat, use a kahle or circle hook; if you plan on keeping the cat for eating, use a treble hook.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We know some folks that have lived on the lower end of Hinkle Lake for several years. We were there last year. He said fishing hadn't been as good as the past. He mostly fishes for crappie.

10. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Grandpa and his buddies back in the day used to trotline Hinkle, Lot of flatheads in there in those stumps. Decent blues near the dam. Thats all I know of it. :smile2: