Hinged trailer tongue

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by primitive, Nov 7, 2008.

1. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    The tongue on my boat trailer takes up 3 - 4 feet of my garage, what a waste of space. Has any one installed a home made OR a boughten folding trailer tongue?? I see Cabelas sells one that looks like you just saw off your exzistingtongue and bolt the hinged unit on. Man, this is brilliant idea. Three extra feet in my garage, priceless. The one Cabelas sells is made by Fulton Manufacturing co. If you installed a home made unit pictures would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Several years ago, I had a trailer that telescoped in & out / removable. I'm pretty sure it was homemade, it just had the next size smaller tube welded inside one half, and was pinned with a hitch pin. I saw one on another forum that telescoped out about 6 feet so it was easier to load/unload, he had some descent pictures. If I can find it again I'll add a link to it.

3. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
  4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats pretty neat. I have never seen anything like that. It could come in handy for sure.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I did the sliding tongue extension back in the summer on mu pontoon trailer and it works good.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I would probably just get some tubing that would go inside the existing tongue. Saw it off and weld that smaller tubing in. Then you could put a hitch pin in the other side for easy removal. If you go the welding route, just make sure you are welding in a well ventilated area if your trailer is galvanized. I know around here you cant buy a boat trailer that isn't galvanized (all the salt water), but other parts of the country painted trailers are fairly common.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thanks for the link brother.

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have a swing away on my trailer and love it!
    Bill

9. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    That extendable trailer tongue is slicker than snot!!! I like that!

10. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ron,
    I have a swing away tounge on my trailer. Its made by Bear Trailer Mfg. Inc.
    Box 311, Lebanon, Missouri 65536 1-417-286-3300 The people from Bear Trailer have been great people to deal with. I had one problem with the trailer lights connection , Bear sent me a new connection. ASAP. Iwas leaving mine set out side and had the front of the trailer a lot higher than the back , rain water was running back into the tounge where the light connection is located. I started leaving the front of trailer lower and haven't hade any more problems.

11. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I have a hindged trailer for my small boat trailer.... It makes the launching easier as I just back the trailer to just short of the wheel bearings, and then bend the trailer and launch the boat.... no wet bearings....my buddy has a fab shop and made an extention as indicated in the post.... our experience with "tube within tube" is that the fit is close and you have to keep on top of the corosion that may happen ... Id suggest maybe doing the galvanize process.... places here in Ca does it for min charge 300lbs..$200 plus ....

Bayrunner Ray

12. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
  13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I was contemplating an expandable trailer tounge. I priced the 14 Gage metal and they quoted $144.00 for a stick 10' long. The 11 Gage was 64.00 for 12'. I am just not sure if the 11 Gage would be heavy enough for the trailer. Seems as though it would as all your basically doing is pulling or backing.

14. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I dont know about yours, but my trailer for my 14' jon only has a rating of 75 pounds for the tongue anyway. I would however keep in mind the flexing that a trailer tongue does. I learned just how much mine flexes when i put a wooden walkway down the center of the trailer. The trailer bounces a lot more now because the tongue isn't flexing as much to absorb bumps in the road (at least that's my theory).