Hillsdale Lake - I Usually Learn The Hard Way

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Frank Perez, May 30, 2007.

1. Frank Perez

Frank Perez New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I’m not a very knowledgeable fisherman. I learn new bits and pieces about fishing as they come to me. I usually learn the hard way. Let me tell ya’ll what I recently learned.
    I took my Wife, my 4 year old, & 6 year old girls out to Hillsdale Lake. My boat was running great, the weather was 78 and mostly sunny, late afternoon, it was supposed to be a short trip, My kids have the attention span of a 4 & 6 year old for some reason. We tied up to some trees. 25 feet of water, We were going to try to get some crappie. My wife caught a 10.5 inch white crappie, My 6 year old daughter caught her first fish ever, a 11 inch white crappie. My 4 year old little girl brought her pink plastic Barbie fishing pole. I thought it was just a toy, but it has a spincast reel and what looks to be 4lb test on it. So, I tied on a #1 aberdeen and with a small minnow on it, 20 minutes later, she has a crappie, her first fish ever. She was SOOO excited. I was very happy for her. The crappie had swallowed the hook pretty deep, & I was trying to get it out, but I was not having any luck. After too much time, I gave up, left the hook in, & cut the line.
    I finally got around to measuring the fish… guess what.. 9.5 inches. The Minimum length for crappie at Hillsdale lake is 10 inches. I knew the fish had been out of the water too long and it went through too much with me trying to remove the hook it swallowed. I knew it would not survive if I threw it back. Plus, I’d have to contend with two little girls watching it float on the surface of the lake. SO, I threw it in the live well with the two other keepers. Fast forward 1 hour. We’re loading up at the boat at the ramp, When, (Drum Roll Please) here comes the KDWP Officer. Do you have any fish on board? Yes Sir, three crappies. What do you use to measure them with? I show him the plastic ruler.
    Well, let’s see them. I open up the live well.. floating on top is the crappie my 4 year old caught, obviously dead. Measure that one for me. It measures 9.5 inches.. I start to explain that it’s my 4 year olds first fish. He grabs his citation / ticket pad…. I tell him she caught it with her Barbie fishing pole.. I tell him it swallowed the hook and that it I knew it wasn’t going to survive if I threw it back… I showed him the swallowed hook.. he says: THAT DOES NOT MATTER. EVEN IF YOU KNOW IT’S NOT GONNA SURVIVE, IF IT”S UNDER 10 YOU GOT TO THROW IT BACK. I though for sure he was going to write me a ticket. But he didn’t. (Here’s the education part of the story) He said, next time measure as soon as you get it out of the water. If it’s under 10, and it’s swallowed the hook, immediately cut the line as close to the mouth as possible and throw it back, and it should survive. He had me measure the other two, they were over 10. I had my license, my wife had hers (just bought that afternoon). He let me go.
    I usually learn the hard way.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I don't blame ya,but now you know.Sounds like the officer had a little common sense also-did he let you keep the fish?

3. Frank Perez

Frank Perez New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yes he did let me keep the fish. I Should have bought a lottery ticket that night. Clean living that's what it's all about. (I Got Lucky)

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    They check pretty regular at Hillsdale. Have sen a lot of tickets written there but I'm always good. I don't keep anything that could be questionable.

5. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    My wife and another couple was with us down at Hillsdale and we went back to the truck to grab a sweatshirt while walking to the truck I seen someone snoopin around the cars and truck then I seen him around ours so I hit the lock button on my key chain to disperse some light so I could see who it was, sure enough it was the Game God making sure that no one was stashing fish in coolers in there cars, he asked us if we were fishing told him yes but did not check our liscense, so we got the shirt and hurried back warned a few people that the Game God was coming and a few people high tailed it out of there. But its a good thing seeing them patroling the area for people who do not want to obey by the laws.

chris

6. skeetfever

skeetfever New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I haven't been checked at Hillsdale yet. Next time I go, I will definately get it. Do you call that jinxing yourself!!

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    "so we got the shirt and hurried back warned a few people that the Game God was coming and a few people high tailed it out of there. But its a good thing seeing them patroling the area for people who do not want to obey by the laws."

Chris, kind of a contradictory comment here? You warned the people fishing, probably illegally, since they "high tailed it out of there", but then it's good to see them(The Game God) patrolling to catch folks who are breaking the law? Why not let the guilty get caught?
    The GAME GOD?,Wow?

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    No kidding-What the heck?

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Frank, I was glad to read the "GAME GOD" was a sensible "GAME GOD" and realized you were trying to do the right thing and not waste a valuable resource, good for you, and your daughters, congratulations to them to for their catches.

10. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    you did the right thing. If you try to hide things from them it just makes it worse.

11. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    There isn't any small crappie worth $100.

Next time, if there is a next time, slit open the dead crappies gut and deflate it's air sack. It'll sink like a stone and your daughter won't have to look at it.