Hillsdale Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by RPnKC, Aug 10, 2009.

1. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    So after this night: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117264
    I ran into some non-fishing friends, one of them welded a new tongue on my trailer after I jack-knifed it pretty bad. Anyway I showed them the pics, and they introduced me to a guy in the office that also catfished. He went on to tell me his current harvest was >700lbs.(flatheads only) this year from Hillsdale running lines. Maybe some of you have also seen the plethora of pictures at Lake n Dale. Why don't more BOC guys fish Hillsdale?

2. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Its a shame to hear of so many flatheads being harvested. I've known several people over the years that run trotlines in Hillsdale and keep a ton of flatheads. I would fish there but I've never found any good bank fishing spots and with out a boat I do much better at the river or smaller lakes.

3. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    In the 80's Martha and I used to fish Hillsdale a lot from a jon boat and the bank. The reason we did was because the fishing was great and I knew someday I would not fish Hillsdale because of how close it is to Johnson County, which generates a lot of fishing pressure. You might hear stories from John of Him and his brothers fishing Bull Creek before the Lake was built. There will always, always, always be big Flat Head Cats in Hillsdale. The Flats eat the crappie and bass that a lot of people in the Kansas City area are eager to catch.

Just short of mass pollution you will never stop the Flats being born up in Bull Creek (worms) and slowly moving down (live fish to feed on) to the face of the Dam to grow old. Fishing around Marysville Boat Ramp late at night and early morning (no boat traffic) would be a good place to bank fish for the big ones. While at El Dorado I bought the annual State park pass, hummmm.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  4. lookin4akeeper

lookin4akeeper New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    We caught some bait fish, shad last night at Hillsdale. A few crappie, not big enough to keep. We might try again tonite, I ran out of coffee!

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Have winter fished Hillsdale a lot for crappie. Interested in the cat fishin. Thanks for starting this post.

6. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    There is a tremendous amount of standing timber, so it's definitely KatBobber territory. Nice to hear it has a shad population.

7. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    There is a nice section of flooded timber that you can fish from the Southern bank just East of the Spoon Creek bridge over Rock Creek. There are some nice crappie beds in that area as well.

8. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

is there a boat ramp near there that i can take a small boat too? ive got a 14 ft vbottom and i dont wanna go clear accross the lake in it, my motor is acting up and its not very reliable.

9. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have fished at Hillsdale a lot in the past 12 years. There are a lot of flathead catfish and big ones at that. The problem, which is stated above by others is the catch/release ratio. I set lines to locate dense populations of both flathead and channel cat so I can rod and reel fish. Anything I catch flathead wise over 15 pounds, I snap photos and release. I have kept 2 big flathead, 1-20# and 1-43#, only because I had a special occasion to feed a lot of people, but I have released several bruisers from this lake. That's 2 large fish in 12 years. However, there are way too many people who do not do that. It's sad but true. I tell everyone I can, by all means fish for the flathead, but if you want to keep fish, catch a nice mess of channels to eat. Hillsdale is loaded with nice channel cat. I have caught and released channel cat in the 15 to 17 pound range drifting blood baits and cut shad. So, hopefully this sheds a little light on the subject. It's a good lake to fish, but plan on seeing people keeping those big flatties. It might be a picture thing. :wink: Who knows?? Good luck and hang in there.

10. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I used to spend a lot of time down at Hillsdale a few years back before I got big into catfishing. I've never really even tried lake fishing for catfish, where are some good areas to try for flatties?

I know there is tons and tons of standing timber up in the two northern arms of the lake and have duck hunted some of those areas...but would that be a good area to start? It just seems there is SO much structure I wouldnt have the first idea where to start at, and my fish finder kinda sucks so locating any fish with that would be tough to do.

11. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Yup, it's right there on the westside of the bridge.

12. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If you put in at Antioch landing, and basically you will see all the standing timber to your left and right. I personally have had success to the right, although it is fished a lot. There is a river channel which runs about 11 to 14 feet deep all year. On the side closest to the bank, there is a large wooded flat. You will also see an island and some points. Anywhere in this area is good for flatheads and channel cats. In March, I fish trot lines deep in this river channel with whole shad and just smash the channel cat. This area is really good. Also, if you find the Marysville landing, there is big deep water around there with good timber and points also. I have caught quality fish at both. Hope this helps..also I would suggest going to walmart and getting one of those little blue topo maps. They are helpful without a good depth finder.

13. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I fish Hillsdale alot. I find weeknights are much better for fishing. It's a great lake once you find the fish, but it is way overharvested, as far as flathead go, but, usually only really hard the end of may and first of june, the rest of the year the limbliners are alot thinner.