Hillsdale catfishing

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by center12, Apr 4, 2006.

1. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Going to fish Hillsdale on Thursday or Friday, pre-fishing for the Acats, and was wondering if anyone knew of a guaranteed shad spot. I've got some frozen fish, but much prefer fresh. Thanks.

2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Charlie, I have not had any luck at Hillsdale for Shad.
    Hillsdale Lake used to have a huge population of them. You could go in the morning or evening and see them all over the lake.
    Not any more.
    Also, it used to be that it was full of bullheads. When you crappie fished, if you let your minnow get to close to the bottom it was instant bullhead.
    Have not caught a bullhead there for years now.

Perhaps someone here nows about a good spot, but I sure have not found it.

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree with Chris, I've never had any luck catching shad in my castnet at Hillsdale. I few in the spillway when they were releasing but it was always to crowded with people. I used to catch carp in my castnet in the coves. I haven't fished Hillsdale in a couple years. I quit fishing Hillsdale since I had so much better luck fishing Olathe lake or the Kaw. Plus getting shad at Olathe lake or Waterworks was alot easier. I imagine with a boat you would have much better luck catching shad.

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks Chris, I'll for sure take some frozen shad when I pre-fish............doesn't sound to promising finding any there. If I do luck into a spot I'll be sure and post it up. Hopefully the Clinton shad are still where I left them:) .

Tackleman, be sure and bring an extra gallon of DK Blood on Saturday.

5. sparky806

sparky806 New Member

State:
    Shawnee Kansas
    We usually stop at Olathe Lake on the way to Hillsdale. It's only 20 minutes from Hillsdale and almost always get a bucket of shad.
    Richard

6. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Charlie

At daylight around the Jayhawker ramp I have been seeing lots of shad on the surface with birds working them. Yesterday the birds weren't around as much but I did see shad in the small cove running to the west just off of the Jayhawker ramp.

I don't know anything about castnets and how to catch shad but when they are in there my graph will completly cloud up (go dark) when I pass over them fishing for crappie. Yesturday after the sun came up and fishing out of the cove I didn't see the shad that I had seen while fishing towards the back of the cove.

I have just been lurking around trying to pick up pointers on fishing for the whiskered type fish in the more traditional mode.

In the summer months I fish for channels around the KDWP fish feeders. I have been using worms to catch some bait to cut up to use as bait for the channel cats.

I use my 10 ft crappie pole rigged with 30lb or plus braided line a circle hook and sometime a small splitshot on my line depending if I want the bait to sink faster. I just slowly work around the feeder from my boat and flip the bait around the feeder and let it slowly sink to the bottom set a bit (probably around a minute) slowly bring it back in and re-flip it to another position around the feeder.

I have caught up to 15 pound channel with this method using the long crappie pole. I have at times had to break off if I don't get the channel turned before it wraps around the anchor chain below the feeder.

I have been releasing any that go over 10 lbs but have discoverd that I really like eating these pellet fed channel (4 to 8 pounders) since I think they are as good as or better than the crappie I catch the rest of the year.

Guess I should have broken this post up into smaller posts so I could get my post count up to ten so I could look at some of the pictures posted here.

Anyhow good luck at Hillsdale.

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Thank you for the heads-up LBM, I'll try that area first as that's where I'll be putting in at.

Knew a fellow that used to take nice cats from around the feeders on Douglas the same way you do..........he said it was a blast!!

When you tire of staring at depthfinders and donating jigs to the brushpile Gods, whiskerskitties are a nice change. I'm a big fan of the 1.5 to 2 lb. kitty for tablefare.

Thanks again for the lead.

8. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    i've actually never seen much shad action around hillsdale but i have seen alot of shad in the shallows were the bass are. i mihgt see you up there on friday cause were gonna go down there and see what patterns i can get out of my shotgun for turkey, were that have publuc hunting. then after that were gonna go crappie fish... well atleast my dad will be, but i will be catfishing. but ya my suggestion if the shad are even kickin and screamin yet, just try around the shallows up in the little back areas. there deep enough were you can drive your boat in there, but i would say its only about 4 feet max. but ya hope that works and good luck and i hope to see you up there

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Richard, sorry I overlooked your post. I've heard Olathe has a really nice shad population but going to cut down thru Wellsville, thanks for the heads up though(could be the backup, backup plan:) )

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Cajun, you skipp'n school on Friday:eek:

11. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Charlie, lucky for us we have a day off from school :) They have some sort of thing going on with the teachers, an in-service day or something, and since it is strictly a teacher work day, they decided to be sweethearts and give us the day off :rolleyes: So we are in the clear.

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Dang boys, that works real well with the Youth turkey opener(course you all maybe too old for that).

If it's not to breezy, I'll be heading that way tomorrow.

13. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Charlie,
    I used to catch aton of shad at Edgerton City lake right by Wellsville. Some really big shad on ocassion. We used to stop there on our way to the Maris Des Cygnes in Ottawa. That might be worth a shot as a back up plan aswell.

14. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    hahah center12. we wouldnt skip school, were good fellas...:rolleyes: but i guess im gonna go turkey hunting friday now since youth season opens. so my dad said we could go do that. but ya i would love to get a harvest this year...BADLY!!!

15. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    "we're good fellows"..............I'm picking my feet up as I type. Probably a couple wild asre teenagers with there hormones all out a whack:p

Hope you get a chance are a nice bird, seen some struting in a field last week............that get's ya going:)

16. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Hehe, I dont know about anyone else, but I generally try to keep myself in line. No drugs, try not to act too stupid, stay away from sex myself (mostly because I cant get a gal LOL) . And Cajun isnt too bad of a guy either though, but occassionally I have to kick him in the butt so he can get himself moving ;) .

17. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Dang that was funny:) Heck you boys might just be OK............watch them girls close though, their a rough crowd!!

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Charlie , keep us posted how you do in the tourney. Good luck. I wish I could hit that one. Ill be shooting for the Perry ACATS tourney , or the Mined Land one. :)

19. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    If I don't get skunked I'll tell you about it!!

Weather is supposed to start getting bad on Friday and carry on in to Saturday, could be tuff fishing................Ya, I'm making excuses already,hehe.

I'm out there to have fun so yes I'll post a report, it may be real humble though:)

20. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    good luck Center, Let us know how it goes!