Hillsboro, Glenn Shoals fishing report

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bearcat, May 14, 2009.

1. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Went to Glenn Shoals today. Didnt have much time but heard the cats are starting to turn on. Had 1 in of rain last nite with a cold front. Caught 2 cats. One about 4 lbs on live bluegill below a float along the rocks. One on leech below float along the rocks. Slow day over all.

Keep an eye on this lake when the water warms and the weather stabilizes if you are in the hillsboro area. Good luck and report if you catch any.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Was you on the toon Tim? Daughter and I and the dog were just messing around over there today new and old water, seen a tooner out along the spillway area fishing....... I think the past 3 months that has to be the most water that has ever been through that spill way, LOL We talked with a couple Bass'n guys that said they had caught 3 small channels on plastic worms in the a.m., that tells me they are either looking for spawn or raiding the gills that are still on bed.

Guess ya may as well get some fishing in, sure not putting much Corn in lately :sad2: about like last spring ain't it? Good Luck on the planting this year.... might run across ya over GS way or down at Carlyle later this year.

3. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    You seen Catoon? :smile2::smile2::smile2: LMAO

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Why YES I DID, ever since they went up and fix the Hubble I can see all over, even can see that fish in your avatar now :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

5. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Glad to hear ya got out. Thanks for the report. I've never spent much time over there, but Randy and I have been talking about hitting that lake this year. Good Luck to ya!

6. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Randy, we were on the rip rap along michenhimer ave. Near the north marina. We were fishing from the bank, so that toon wasnt me. Going out tomorow. Hope to find the cats. Seems like the cats are just starting to move in to the rocks. The one I caught was a female with eggs. They were a ways from ready to spawn by the looks of the eggs. They were quite yellow yet. Soon though. Talk to you all later.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep, we were just all over pretty much wasting the day really, I would guess that this coming week should have them up hunting for a spot and eating everything in sight, with the last rain being fairly warm and a week of sun the water should finally settle out and jump a few degrees... Good luck, gonna try and get the ol boat finished up tomorrow......

8. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Went out again today. Got to the lake at 8am. Fishing by 830. Caught a bushel basket of crappie, most to small to keep , several 8 to 10 inch. The switched to red wigglers to catch gills for bait. First two cast gills. Second two cast caught 2 channels about 2 lbs. Then no more gills or channels Switched back to jigs for crappie. then moved to a windy bank with rip rap . Baited up with cut gill heads, used half a head. Caught 2 more nice cats, 3 lbs. Then it was time to go home. Ended the day with 5 cats,a ton of crappie and a few gills.

All the fish were right next to the bank. If you were with in 2 feet of the bank you caught fish. If you were four feet from bank you might as well recast and start over. It was amazing how the fish ,cats,gils and crappie, were hugging the bank today.

Looks like it is going to dry up ths week. Hope to get some crops planted. Will be last trip for awhile.

9. eogden

eogden New Member

State:
    Carlinville Illinois
    Hey Bearcat,

You still alive man? I haven't been out yet as I went in business for myself. Got laid off last March and nobody wants to hire an old man anymore. We'll have to get together sometime. Right now I'm running like crazy chasing these storms.

Talk to you later

Eric

10. Butchy

Butchy New Member

State:
    Rock Falls, IL
    long time no see good luck and catch some big ones

11. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Eric glad to see you are still alive. I hope all is well with you. I have been making it.

We do need to get together over at glenn shoals. Lets get this crop planted and then we can fish.

12. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Butchy. Good to see you post again. Do you get back this way very often. If you get this way sometime we will have to fish. Maybe you can teach me how to catch the biguns there at glenn shoals. Take care

13. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Just got home from Glenn shoals. Caught 145 crappie, 20 gills, and 4 channels. Lost two really nice cats, 7 to 10 lbs. Mostly fished for crappie, they were in 4 to 6 foot of water near sructure. Cats were right on the rocks, using cut gills, and tube jigs while crappie fishing.
    Hope eveyone else catches a bunch.

14. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    145 CRAPPIE:eek:oooh: jesus man i know there is some sort of limit out there save some for the rest of us. I truely hope you didnt keep them all. I bank fish glenn a lot manily for cats but i do enjoy huntin some crappie from time to time.

15. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Keep your shorts on. No we didnt keep them all. Only kept 20 that were big enough to fillet.
    Just reporting so people know what and where the fish are biting.