Hill's Landing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by REELFUN, Nov 13, 2006.

1. REELFUN

REELFUN New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm sorry to hear two participates in the tourney are missing and presumed drowned. My prayers go out to thier families. At least one of the three survived.

2. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    does anybody know what happened. the wind was light i think and should not be that rough.

my condolances to the survivor and families.

3. REELFUN

REELFUN New Member

State:
    SC
    There was a lake wind advisory for saturday night and sunday.

4. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    The article is on the internet on the Carleston news paper's web site. They were not wearing life jackets. One held onto the boat but the other two gave out and went under. They were in a 18' Sea Pro. Moultrie can be tough on any size boat when the wind is up.

5. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Wow! That's horrible.... I feel so bad for the families.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nick, I wasn't out there, but according to the forecast the wind was gusting to 25 knots or so. That's all it takes to turn the lower (or upper) lake into a demon. The rescue squad was even having a hard time searching with their 25' boat. I can't emphasize enough to folks that aren't familiar with the lakes: Don't take chances! Have an alternate plan if the weather turns bad. It's better to go to a safe harbor and call for help or wait out the weather than to try and cross the lake under high wave conditions, depending on size of vessel. That lake can go from calm to churning in less time than it takes to run across the lake in an average boat. Lives are claimed there every year due to weather.

7. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    guys we were on the west side of the lake fishing shallow ,the wind was coming from the west,and we had to untie from a tree so the boat could face the wind and it was a not a fun time so I can only imagine had bad it was on the east side.I heard that they had 5 foot waves towards the dam.It only took the wind an hour to go from good to terrible.hope everyone takes notice and uses good judgement when heading out.BE SAFE.

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Man I hate to hear that.Theres been many times where I wanted to get out and kiss the banks of the diversion canal when we finally get to it after coming accross Moultrie in 4 to 6 foot swells.People just dont realize how that lake gets.

9. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    i know that it can get nasty out there. my boat drifts stern to. so i realy have to watch the weather. i never go far from the area i put in at. if i have to ill head in somewhere. i have not done that yet. i always keep an eye on the weather. at night it gets creepy. from the west then out of the north at 20.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I sure did hate to get that phone call yesterday from some friends about what happened. My prayers are with their families. I have a 18foot deep vhull boat and I dont like to be in the lake when the wind starts getting even alittle hard. Like tommy said is always a good idea to have a plan B and if your like me at the lake a plan C and D also(lol). That same thing happens at least twice a year in the lakes. I always say SAFTEY FIRST.

11. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Your right James "SAFTY FIRST" And for God's sake if the weather get's bad Wear a life jacket. Our prayers and thoughts out to these families.

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i dont think the guys in the tourney really knew about the front coming in. at least i didnt have a clue until carl at blacks said rain/wind was coming that night before we headed back out sat night. i looked at the weather forcast for the weekend before leaving and it said 10-15mph sw winds for saturday and i talked brian thornhill (guide) saturday morning briefly and he confirmed what i had seen for saturday. so the only clue i had was what carl told me. it was late when i noticed the black clouds and the stars where gone. think it might have a caught some folks off guard but still no excuse for the life jackets. the want to win is not worth the loss in safety and i have been guilty of this myself. we all think we can swim but when you hit that water at 60 degrees things change fast. this will change my ways for sure.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Mike where the heck were you?We were all looking for you.I think most of the people DID know the weather was going to be bad.I talked to Ron at the weigh in and he told me they were calling for the drastic change at mid night.We decided to fish around Navy Point so we could duck in to Short Stay if needed.We fished until about 1 am when the clouds came in and the wind increased and I could smell rain.I told my crew lets take a short break at SS and see what happens.It was hard to do as the bite was picking up well in 30-35 ft of water,we went in and within an hour it started blowing like crazy,and raining.We had to go to the male bathroom for shelter it was blowing so hard and the temp dropped also.After a while a pontoon came staggering in with 3 fellows from Shaw AFB.They also took shelter with us and had a kerosene heater which made the bathroom warm and toasty.At daylight they decided to attempt a crossing but the forecast said the wind wouldn't drop until 4 pm.The folks at SS gave us a cabin for free and around noon one of the girls at the desk gave me a ride around to my truck at Canal Lakes.We loaded out and released our fish as we couldn't make it back in time.We heard that the rescue was under way around 3 AM and I knew it would just be impossible to find them in time.I have said it many times before Santee is no place to mess with.It gets up right now when the wind picks up and I mean in 5 minutes.We knew the forecast and planned to stay close to protection.I hate that 2 folks paid for that lesson with their lives.All in all Hills is the best Tournament down there in my opinion and it was fun being with the BOC gang again.To bad tragedy had to spoil it.It was as bad as I have seen it and I wouldn't try it even in daytime although I was confident we could make it back to Hills I didnt even try. :sad2:

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    heck i was looking for fish friday night jim. we was lost the whole time i guess but i think i did find you. if that was you with the green candles that is. we drifted right up to you sturday night. you should have hollar over and told me i was about to get my brains beat out.:tounge_out:

15. I'm very sad to have heard about the fisherman who lost their lives.
    People just don't realize how quickly the water conditions can go bad.
    I fish out of our lakehouse on lake marion, and i don't venture to far away in the open water for that very reason. At least i have some islands i can work around to slow the wind if i need ,but there are still times when even that does not work. On Moultrie its like a giant fishbowl w/ not
    many places t o hide. Fisherman from other parts hear about our lakes and want to get in on the good fishing and many are not aware on the potential danger. Maybe a sign at the boat landing cautioning to the dangers would help.

My prayers go out to the families involved.

16. Does anyone know if the bodies of the 2 fisherman have been recovered?
    I was out of town for a while before thanksgiving and i not sure if there was any new developments. if not has anyone noticed any type of
    search?
    Thanks

17. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I haven't heard anything lately.

18. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    As of yesterday, no bodies recovered, but the search continues.

19. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Tommy, Please keep us informed on the search. I still have these fellows on my mind. I know that their tradgedy has been a wake up call to me. I have even ordered some new life vests in different sizes to be sure they will fit everyone on board.