Hilljack on Ohio River yesterday

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by ohio hilljack, Dec 27, 2008.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    The Hilljacks treked to the big river yesterday, should have known there would be some Hilljack luck involved. Now some will say that Hilljack luck is just lack of preperation and stupidity, and of course they would be right, but that is just the way I am. Started out by getting up late, Drew beating on my door at 4:30 because my wife locked it for about the third time since we've been married. Guns make better locks than door handles. He managed to get me up and we fired up the boat before we went , hour and a half is too far to go just to have the boat not start. Made pretty good time with no other problems got to the river at 7:30. We got the boat ready then decided we would probably need more than a half tank of gas, so we tied her back down and went to the gas station and filler her up. And we started the boat again just to make sure we would have no troubles when we got in the river BECAUSE she was RIPPING. Put the boat in the water, remember that nice boat dock at the gathering guys, she was gone..Drew parked the truck and THE BOAT WOULDN'T START... Seemed like the battery was low so I changed it after we finally got the boat pulled back up to the ramp, only getting slightly damp. Still turned over slow, tried several times then I noticed a little spark at a wing nut connection. You know all the tatto's every one gets of the butterflys and angels and all those other things with wings, well I've never been into that, but I got a nice little wing nut tatto burned into my thumb and forefinger just the same, but the boat started..So finally we set about to catch some fish because the boat will really fly going downstream. Not knowing too much about fishing for blues ,we set out with the intention to travel till we marked some fish then anchor down with a couple concrete blocks I brought because my anchors are for lakes and will not hold in the river. We went half way down to the 275 bridge and really hadn't marked any thing but trash in the river ,so we decided to fish a couple barges where they off loaded grain. Pulled almost up to the barge turned the steering wheel and the gears stipped out of the steering box. Drifting aimlessly, threw out the concrete blocks ,and found out that my anchors aren't the only thing too small to hold my boat in the river. We used the motor to limp over to the bank so I could figure out how to get something rigged to steer the boat. Tore everything apart with 2 pairs of pliers and a pocket knife (boats tool kit) Found there was no way I was going to get any of it too work. There I set Scatching my head Drew throws out the poles and says what we going to do. Well it looked like he had it figured out, he's fishing, I guess I'm going to fix the boat and your going to fish. Any of you ever seen a 120 horse tiller steer motor, I took the oar and fastened it to the top of the motor and you know what Drew said." I got a fish", in he brings a five pound channel. Thats great I climb on the back of the boat to put the cover, with alterations, on , one of the other poles hits me in the head and I bring in a eight pounder. Things were looking up so we went on down the river, not up , to continue our quest. We fished right along the banks as we went down ,most of the water was only about 12 feet deep caught two more about four or five pounds. At the 275 bridge we marked some fish but couldn't fish because we could not tie off. Went just a little further and marked some more so we tied up on the bank and cast out to them. ended up catching our first 2 blues while fishing the river from the ohio bank. One 11-8 other 8-4 Decided we had better head because it was 4:00 all was well till we decided it would be a good idea to fish the grain barge. Tied off on the barge fished for about half a hour caught a squealer and everything dissapears. Fog was so thick you could see nothing. I had no idea fog could set in that fast.couldn't see your own hand. We ended up taking two hours to get to the ramp, held a spot light down off the front of the boat and tried to see the logs coming at us while Drew tried to figure out where the bank was. And no you can't see those great big barges when it is really foggy till your right on them. The ones that were in the middle blowing there horns were pretty bad too, but we didn't get too close to any of them. So basicly it was a normal trip and we caught seven fish which makes it a great trip:eek:oooh:

2. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thats sounds like a horribly perfect day!!!

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well I am glad you guys atleast caught some fish, couldnt buy a fish today, didnt try in 12 ft of water either...:eek:oooh:...After we lost the anchor I chalked it up as a loss anyway..:confused2:

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Just another fun-filled day for your guys.

5. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    i AM TRYING TO DO THE PICTURE THING BUT AS YOU CAN TELL i'M STILL NOT SMARTER THAN THIS COMPUTER[​IMG]

6. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    yep still dumb. Maybe I should wait till the brains of the outfit gets home..

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I certainly can't argue with that! :smile2::smile2::smile2:lmao:eek:oooh::crazy:

8. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] This might work

Attached Files:

9. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

My brain might be getting bigger. That first one is for Mr Whiskers just in case he ever needs to convert a motor to tiller steering:big_smile:

Attached Files:

10. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Did I forget to mention that it rained for a couple hours. You can see the fog setting in in the last one, its just a little after four and it looks like its getting dark.

Attached Files:

11. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Wow....at least you didnt get skunked. That fog is mean, a couple of buddies and I got caught in heavy fog(think I mentioned the story to ya at the gathering) but it set in around 3:00am we couldnt see sh_t!! Even up finding the bank and camping out till fog burned off in the morning!

Man you got let us Cincy guys know....We could have told ya the dock was gone.

Thanks for the pics....love the steering mechanism! LOL

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Looks like you figured out the pics brother. Congrats on the good fish. I am surprised that you were able to catch anything at all with the conditions the way they were

13. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey Chris, see y bought some parts the other day.. I went out yesterday and stripped a steering wheel and cable out of one of my old heaps I keep around and fixed mine. Took six hours but I'll be fishing on my next day off..I was starting to think tiller steering wasn't that bad before I was finished

14. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
  15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Glad to see you finally got some use out of that old wreck!!! A steering cable and a good double axle trailer, not too shabby for the price you paid!

16. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Willie,
    How the heck have you guys lived this long:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
    Good fix on the steering though, hilljack engineering at it's best...W

17. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    We are pretty sure god loves us ,because if he didn't we would have been fish food long ago:smile2:

18. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im just flat out glad you guys caught something and to be honest, you guys had the steering break and that could very well be how you guys caught fish. You guys may not have thought about fishing that shallow if your steering hadnt broke. that little mishap taught me something also because we fished deep all day and didnt do worth a crap. you know where Ill be next time. Up in the trees!!!:smile2:

19. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Lets not get too hasty. maybe go shallow when those bigguns aren't pulling the pole out of the boat in the deep water.