HillJack Boat Modification Complete!!

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by brother hilljack, Sep 12, 2009.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Finally got up the nerve to take the last step in making my boat Big Fish compatible! I used to have two livewells in the front of my boat. Both of these were perfectly capable of handling a 20 pound catfish and I have done this in several tournaments without too much of a problem. I knew that they were insufficient however and the fish I caught at the Big Cat Quest proved it! It was only a 26.5 pounder, but man that thing BARELY fit in the livewell. Had no trouble keeping it alive however so that was ok.

I took out all the decking in the front of my boat. Took out the old live wells and installed this truck box. Mathmatically it is around 40 gallons. Not the perfect solution, but it is what I have and what I can afford at current time.

I really like the way the project turned out and minus the box (already had it), I was able to complete it for about $75 bucks! Of course I recycled the existing pumps/connectors, but it seems to work great in the drive way!:roll_eyes: Will still have to put it too the test! Here are a couple of pics of before/after.

Attached Files:

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    dang shane, that looks really good.

3. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    looks good, i wish i had the nerve to do mods on my boat

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Good job Shane, thats a good looking job.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Shane

It looks good. Now you need a new PB to go in it.

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    OUT, Did I say OUT???Yup OUT,Yes I'm mean OUTSTANDING Brother Hilljacker !!!!! :wink: J.D.

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Shane it looks great .How much of the old framing did you have to rip out an redo ? just wondering :cool2:

8. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Looks like you planned it out well...live well...lol. nice job:cool2:

9. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It was much easier than I would have guessed. The original deck was removed in 1 piece. That was very important because I was able to use it as a pattern for the overall shape of the new decking.

Because the old livewells supported the decking, I had to install a 2 inch angle iron (aluminum) just in front of the tank to support the middle of the deck. Carpet was a remnent that I picked up at the lumber yard for 5 bucks!

Thanks everyone, I am very proud of how it turned out

10. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good looking job Shane, now go slime it:smile2::smile2: Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    around here we call it adapt and overcome, and of course it has to look and operate good also. I personally like to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, and it looks as if you have done just that. Good job Brother Jack. Later Andy

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    looks real good, nice job. are ya gonna replace the seat post mount?

13. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Nope, I don't really use it anyway so it is not really needed. I may change my mind later, but as of now, no.

14. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Great looking job.I wish I had the nerve to do it.I think all boats should have a large 30 gallon up livewell.Even people panfishing need more room than the small ones most boats come with.Thanks for sharing

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    good job Shane it dont look out of place at all perfecto

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
  17. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    dang man i love the way that looks i would love to have somethin like that mounted to the front deck in my boat for some storage since i have Zero storage as of now. i had been plannin on building one but your post actually gives me some new ideas.:big_smile:

18. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    looks good shane......now after the diaper changing...all you have to do is talk mamma into letting you go and try it out....:smile2::smile2::smile2:....lol

19. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Maybe mama will let me hit the water this morning. Will have to wait and see how she feels however