Highrock, Mainly Abbots creek area in North Carolina.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Thenutslanded, May 3, 2009.

1. Thenutslanded

Thenutslanded New Member

State:
    Archdale, North Carolina
    Anybody having any luck in the abbots creek area befor you get to sheets bottom around the Lake Dr's??? We been catching so real nice crappy out there but when we start goin' after cats there not bitein'... we been fishin' about 30ft-40ft out and 15-20 ft deep with no luck.:eek:oooh:

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Daniel, I've been fishing Abbott's creek with no luck as well. I've caught a couple of small channels and some white perch, but nothing worth mentioning. For some reason, I've been having trouble finding bait (shad). Usually Abbott's is loaded this time of the year. The water level is way up compared to last year, don't know if that might have something to do with it. Crappie I've caught have been small as well. I hope to be out there this weekend either Fri. evening or Sat. morning. I'll post a report.

3. Thenutslanded

Thenutslanded New Member

State:
    Archdale, North Carolina
    sounds good man i think ill be out there myself, the crappie we been catching have been pound - pound and half but man the cats just are not biting we found shad good but they wont even bite them i think the water temp still needs to come up about 15 more degrees and maybe the level drop about 2 or 3 feet and we'll start catching them but good luck to ya man and maybe we can meet up down there sometime and catch afew thanks man

Daniel

4. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Daniel, I don't think that the water level is going down any time soon. It looks like we'll be headed out Fri. evening (weather permitting). Have you been catching the crappie with live bait or jigs? What time of day have you been fishing?

5. Thenutslanded

Thenutslanded New Member

State:
    Archdale, North Carolina
    we been catching crappie from about 11:30 am till dark mostly around docks that you see brush around with mi mi's minnos i dont know what it is about there minnos but iv caught more fish getting them at mimi's than monnos from spartan mart or flat swamp. earlier in the season when it was cold we had good luck on black top and chartreuse bottom rawhide jigs but when the water got above 70 degrees with started using minnos again thats when we started catching the pound and pound and half crappies

6. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Well, went out Fri. night. We didn't get the boat in the water until after 9:00 pm. There's a lot of water right now. Many of the islands are partially flooded. We tried fishing shallow water with no luck. We did manage to catch a couple of nice channel cats with livers in @ 20 feet of water. It was a great night to be out on the lake.

7. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Put in at Abbott's Creek and fished at a spot called Skipjack Cove. Caught a couple of channel cats. Anyone else ever fish this area?

8. Shark

Shark Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fished abbotts creek last night till about 1am and was skunked not even a bite. I was wondering if it was just me .

9. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Tim, The fishing at Abbott's Creek has seemed slow to me as well. The water is way up compared to the past few years. I'm thinking about heading out to Flat Swamp or Panther Creek next week.

10. Shark

Shark Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fished the main lake last night and ended up with one 20lb flat and lost one. And two channels . I can't seem to figue out where they are at. Let me know how you do in panther creek or flat swamp I've never fishe that wat before. I was going to scout around in panther creek yesterday evening and didn't get to was catching bait till late then the rain and wind came.

11. HRL Flatcat09

HRL Flatcat09 New Member

State:
    NC
    ive been catfishing abbots creek and the main lake everyday for the past couple weeks. I cant seem to find the big ones yet. the biggest ive caught was 34 pounds on the main lake, but i have caught alot of nice channels. Im looking to fish buddle creek in the next few weeks

12. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I did best last year about a month from now when they come off the beds. I would fish live bait on flats with good water quality if I were going. Big live baits work best right now, but a flattie will hit cut too, especially in the spring like this. The cutbait bite will die off when they come off the beds. I need to get after 'em myself.

13. Shark

Shark Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Rookie when you say good water quality what do you mean. Would you look for structure on the flats your talking about fishing? I have heard you mention panther creek before but I haven't made it up there yet. Thanks