highlandtown

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rasmotherman, Mar 31, 2009.

1. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    I have hit highlandtown res. a few times with mixed results. I am using 4 inch gills whole. I hit a few 2 lb channels one night but thats it. I am freezing the gills untill i use em. do yall think this is why they arent hitting? it is hard for me to come up with fresh ones the day i am going to fish and wife wont let me stink the place up to keep em for a day or two. what should i do and are there any highlandtown pros out there?

2. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    also, i am looking for a catfishing buddy for highlandtown. i have an 18 foot alum boat, but nobody that wants to stay out at night covered in slime.

3. Channel Hunter

Channel Hunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Got your P.M. Don't have enough posts to get back to you.But yes I do fish Guilford

4. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    if you have some frozen,bait them poles up with them, and get a ultra light and get ur live gills there ,just make sure u get 2or 3 for the next time out

5. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    just got back from highlandtown. had a bite on the head of a chub but thats it. guy next to me was slaying crappie. it left me wishing i brought some minnies to catch some bait. going bassin up there in the morning. i will let yall know how it goes

6. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    bass were hitting pretty good. got some crappie for lunch. not sure when the cat stars will align here though. there was a tournie there and from what i saw there wasnt alot of catching going on. i did see a few big cats in the shallows while i was bassin. they wouldnt hit my jig tho. i tried lol

7. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    yesterday bass were hittin good. today nothing, a few gills and a crappie. need the weather to give me a good night to go cattin

8. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Bass? What IS that exactly?:wink:

9. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    going to try to hit the cats this weekend. get my practice in. i have to get some better lights for the boat. i am using lanterns right now. i will post an let yall know if they were biting

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Rick, stop right there! I've read enough of these posts to weigh in some thoughts. ( if you witnessed a tourny weigh in, and nobody caught fish. Your lake sux) LOL I only say that cause there are better options, than catfishing a lake where even catmen can't catch fish. Just look around on the Ohio site and read where guys are actually catching fish. Local Talk, Rivers, Lakes. Then go to the tournament section and look at some of their weight totals and note what body of water the event was held at and fish the nearest one. You also need to get out and learn how and where to catch your own bait. I catch mine right before I go fishing every time I go. ( cause I don't yet have a bait tank in the garage LOL). Yes its a pain!
    But fresh bait, (live or cut), will outperform frozen bait 90 percent of the time.
    Another thing, leave the LANTERNS at home. All they do is draw bugs. Buy a cheap head-lamp for baiting hooks, and re-tying...etc. And sit out in your boat in the dark. after 30 minutes you'll be amazed at how well you can see.
    Fish out on the lake or river that is normally dark will shy away from bright lights.

Hope some of this helps.

11. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i may be wrong but dont you need a light on the boat and have the light on...... to be legal to fish at night?

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Yes and you are only supposed to drive 65 on the Interstate. lol

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well said bro. Leave the lanterns and lights aside! rollo

14. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i wasnt knocking this lake at all guys. it is a great lake. it is stocked everyother year with foot long channels. i have seen some biggens feeding on the banks. there are tons of cats caught there just not by me...yet! i only need a light for tying hooks n stuff. i have my marker lights. i know the entire lake so i know where every stump and rock is. i fish it 3-4 days a week just not for cats. i am going to figure the cats out here i just have to dedicate time for it. trying to convert my fishin partner to a catman but havent sold him on it yet. the wife dont like me taking the boat out by myself. i think she believes i am too fat to swim.