highlandtown catfishing

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rasmotherman, Jul 12, 2009.

1. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    hit highlandtown with no luck. i was fishing by the gravel parking lot. took my 4 year old so we only stayed out for about 4 hrs. guy next to me caught 2 1#ers on liver. i never got a bite. i know every log and stump in the lake (and yes the bridge too) but havent had any luck there. does anyone fish here regularly for cats. i have the bass bite down but cant seem to nail these cats down. also...i know back in the day it was full of pike, that i know of i havent seen any. unless they run with them carp.

2. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    helloooooooo. (echo) maybe i have made this lake up in my mind. i cant be the only one fishing here. boc is 30k strong and i am the only one in columbiana county:sad2:

3. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    cant help ya bud, but i just wanted to let you know i herd your echo :wink:

4. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    lol. small lake in the middle of no where. guess i should be glad it isnt over crowded. thanks

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Rick I had to google where you live at LOL, I read every thread in the ohio section but if I have nothing to say about it I will just exit out or thank the person. Hopefully you can catch something from there.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Can't help you on this area but I did notice the post an came back to see the replys. Sure wish I could have been some help on this.

7. RiverKatt

RiverKatt New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey Ras, what was you using for bait? I live on 45 right outside of wellsville and fish highlandtown quite a bit. I like using shad and bluegill heads for big channels over there. Can't leave out shrimp neither. I usually fish from a boat now but from the bank I've done well at the big cove on the left around from the dam. Hope this helps.

8. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    the big cove with the tree in it or the long one behind that house? i usually take the boat for bassin but not for cats. i am taking it this weekend though. i have been using cut chubs, live chubs and shiners, hot dogs and garlic, crawlers, basically everything but dip baits. are there any good size fis? i know they stock everyother year but havent heard of any large channel. most out there keep their catch so i dont know if there are biggens out there. thanks for any help you can give

9. Dizzywater

Dizzywater New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hello,
    I went out to highlandtown lake last night untill 10:30 with my 7 year old grandson. Lots and lots of nibblers too small to get the hook in thier mouths with a big gob of chicken liver on it. Caught one channel about 9" and another smaller than that. Also got a brown bullhead! I assumed the ones I got were stockers, but that's pruely an assumption.
    Talked to a friend tonight who lives near the lake and has fished it for years. His feeling was that the catfishing has declined in recent years. I fished a wellworn shore spot. There are certainly lots of other places that don't get the pressure that the spot I fished get. Grandson was thrilled with the fish he caught.

10. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    there is alot of the lake that gets no pressure and a few spots that get tons. i know where a pile of debris is that has tons of food around it. im gonna start there then head to the coves with deeper water near it. hopefully this is going to be saturday, if everything works out.

11. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    im taling my 4 and 2 year old daughters out saturday morning. i am going to let them catch a bunch of bait:big_smile:. i will be going out saturday night to try to get on some big channels. i know about 10 spots where they SHOULD be. i will let yall know sunday morning. hopefully there isnt a turn going on. those guys come out and trash my lake and leave:angry:. i will update on monday.

12. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    went out this morning with the girls. they lasted about 3 hrs before they wanted to leave. guess they are still too young to be out for long periods. maybe they are just spoiled by me always taking them to the gill holes. i did actch some bait for tonight. my buddy called and wanted to go out cattin. he has never caught a catfish in his life so i said sure. he also lasted 3 hrs and wanted to go night night. sooo i had 2 good runs but neve hooked up. both were on the old road bed near the sunken bridge (at about 18 feet). hopefully the wife will let me out again soon so i can explore further

13. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    well i finally hit them last night. got my best for the year. it was around 6lb channel i dropped her and she flopped in the lake before i got a pic. i finally broke down and switched to livers when i got it. i nailed a bunch of little ones but i finally got a decent one. hopefully i will hit them again soon. i believe the spawn is over here

14. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    went out again tonight. 2#er and a buch more lil ones. i am going to take the boat out next time to try some holes. nothing fantastic but it was a good night out. i took the neighbor kid. he had never caught a cat and hasnt done much fishing. he did get his first cat (and his only) he was all pumped up. (he is only 9) well i will keep this thread going in case one of the million people i have told about the site while fishing join up.

15. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    went out the past two nights. no decent fish.

16. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    was out last night got a 2 lber. fishing for bait with a rubber worm i got a decent 2 lb bass

17. RiverKatt

RiverKatt New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey RAS, not very encouraging reports there. Yes I meant the cove with the tree in it. Haven't been over there in a couple months been fishin Attwood. Be there Sat. theres a tournament, you going to fish it?

18. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i dont fish the tourn's. the bite has picked up a lot. it seems that every night i go out the fish get a little bit bigger and the bite is heating up. i fished the mouth of that cove the other night and had a few runs. i am hitting that new cover they put down by the big dock and doing well. the road bed has been producing as well. i have got many eater size but nothing remarkable except maybe the 6# i got a few weeks ago. so the good news is that it is heating up. the cats in there look like they belong on a poster. no deformities or scars. i credit that to the great management that lake has.

19. RiverKatt

RiverKatt New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well Ras, you didn't much Sat. at the tournament. The bite was slow. Nothing of any size caught. A 24"er won it.. 19 was the biggest we caught. We had a verity of great bait, shrimp, shad, chubs, and yes even livers. Not a bite on livers... going fri. or sat. maybe see you there.

20. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    what is the entry fee for them?
    is it the rogers tourn?
    can i pay at the lake or do i need to go to them?
    if i cant compete i will give you some of my spots to try