highfalls state park

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfish1083, May 6, 2009.

1. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    dose anyone fish highfalls state park?

2. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    Well, I'm not sure how much help I'll be, since it's been quite a few years since I've fished it, but I know that in the past there have been some really big flatheads caught out of there. The lake was also slap full of crappie last I was there, and there are also some nice coves with stumps and a couple of nice points on the mainlake.

That said, the last time I was there, no one knew a drought was on the way, if that tells ya anything! I need to get back down there sometime and give it another go. Once had a bass pull the wife and I around in a canoe for 20-30 seconds before it jumped and threw the hook....that lake used to grow some mighty fine fish.

Hope someone comes along soon with more recent news/reports for ya. Just thought I'd chime in since no one else has - sorry I'm not more help!

3. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    yeah i fish there often there are some good channels and blues pushing 10 to 15 pounds its hard to catch those flats though with the no night fishing they got there.

4. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    The no night fishing thing? I can't remember if that was in place when I was around there or if I'm just not rememberin' it right. Probably the latter. Is it for bank fishing too?

5. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    you can bank fish at night only if you know someone who lives on the lake or if you are camping at the state park

6. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    HOW BIG IS THE LAKE?

7. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    WENT TO HIGHFALLS TODAY. IT IS A 650 ACRE LAKE.IF YOU ARE NOT LIVING ON THE LAKE OR KNOW SOMEONE THAT DOES YOU HAVE TO BE OFF THE WATER BY DARK. I DON'T KNOW IF ANY FLATHEADS ARE BEING CAUGHT DURING DAYTIME OR NOT. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ANY FISH ARE BEING CAUGHT DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS OR NOT.

8. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    THE 650 ACRE IS THE STATE PARK PORTION.

9. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    The lake is plenty big. And, there are also alot of crappie and some nice bass in there too. As far as I know, there's only 1 or two bridges over it, and they are (or it is, can't remember) right on the water. There is a boat ramp on the west side of the lake too, on a road just before you get to the state park. There is probably a sign by now. And, before the drought years, you could catch some decent fish below the lake in the river, too. Access there is in the state park though. I've gotta go back there sometime and visit it again. I must have been 20 something the last time I was there and I'm gettin' mighty close to 40 now!

(holy crap. ;) LOL)

10. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    THE BOAT RAMP IS ON BUCK CREEK RD. IT IS STILL PART OF THE STATE PARK AND IT COST $ 5.00 PER VEHICLE. I WAS TOLD THAT THE WHOLE LAKE IS 650 ACRE.

11. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    the lake has a 10 hp limit on boat motors:eek:oooh:

12. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    Yep. That's the new parking fee for State Parks this year. Economy bad. People stay home. Revenue down.

The answer( according to government)?

Raise the fees(or taxes) on everyone! Horray. :doubt:

And even with the higher fees, they are closing/cutting some jobs and such.
    But, that's how it goes these days.

13. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i agree with ya on that one. just like the fishing lic. jumped up 3 extra $ this past year. it would not be as bad if i could make sure it was going for something productive and not in some jacka$$*s pocket:angry:

14. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I can offer a bit of info; built a cabin on High Falls in 1985 and sold it a couple years ago. High Falls is a strange lake in many ways, only state park in Georgia with private land owners on the bank! Unresolved issue, to my knowledge still existent, as to exactly what and where the state boundary starts or stops. Most of the landowners say to the water's edge [riparian rights] while the state says to a certain elevation. And the state maintains control of the 'lake' all the way to the Hwy 36 bridge for what that is worth.
    As to the fishing, this lake was destroyed for all practical purposes in the flood of July 1994 the water went over the top of my boat house with the boat in it! An awful lot of the structure in the lake went out and over the dam and tons of silt filled in areas that were prime bass cover, especially in the area at the mouth of the Towliga River and the Duckpond. I don’t know how much the lake has recovered as I don’t fish there anymore.
    High Falls was one of the first lakes in GA to be stocked with stripers and I do not know of anyone ever catching one out of the lake. Then the state came back with periodic stockings of hybrid bass as well as threadfin shad – caught a lot of these over the years.
    This little lake some of the best fishing I have ever had for large mouth bass, especially if you fished for the big ones, I caught 3 over ten pounds. Catfish were abundant and had little fishing pressure. I picked up several over the years bass fishing with large plastic worms, biggest on a worm was 28# blue. Caught some big flatheads but way up the river and on set lines – had a real monster, certainly fifty pounds or better, eat a bream I had hooked but needless to say, I never landed him. I can still see that mouth like a five gallon bucket sucking in that poor bream. I drowned several bream later in that same hole but never had him bite again when I was ready for him.
    One final thing, this lake is shallow and the bottom is fairly smooth and level. If you can find any breaks in the bottom, even if it is only a foot or so, fish it thoroughly – it really makes a difference. The lake narrows down just above Watkins Bottoms and deeper water above this –used to be a long run here - not much deeper but enough that it made a difference Another ‘hole’ was just before you come into the big water when leaving Buck Creek and running out – used to be some large trees on the left hand bank here that was always good for a bass or two.
    Hope some of this helps and catch a big one.
    Best regards,