High water tactics

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by 1sporticus, Apr 27, 2008.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well as most of you know, the Mississippi is out of it's banks, and rolling pretty heavy around this area. So what are some of your high water tactics? What are some of the baits, and style of rigs you use? Inquiring minds would like to know. Later Andy

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wow, I can't believe I'm the only one who is having to deal with high water. Come you guys give up those secrets. LOL Later Andy

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish alot smaller river system, but it is one that floods and gets nasty. Early in the spring when water temps. are in the 40's I look for flooded fields, that holds warmer temps. by the spring sunlight, and feeder creeks are a hot place to be. As temps. get into the upper 50's and warmer, I often hit some of these areas still, but prefer to fish the inside bends on the main river where there are often slack water areas created by the lack of current due to the channel hitting the opposite bank on the outside bends hard. These inside bends act for a holding area for cats out of the raging current, and offer an easy meal for them as well. This is a great place to catch numbers of fish! Baits are the same, cutbaits, and live baits such as gills, bullheads and such. I really don't mind when the river gets high during the warm water months because the fish seem to be more predictable in these obvious areas, and are actively feeding still. hope this helps some, goodluck.....rollo

4. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I just find a good spot and then just fish regularly.