High Water on the Arkansas

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by jtrew, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The Corps shows water flow at Murray L&D to be 105k cfs today, rising to 125k cfs on Friday, before starting to drop. Anybody trying to fish the Arkansas when it's like this? And, if so, are you fishing the main river, or the backwaters?

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Of course it is gonna flood:eek:oooh::wink: Hell every year same story flood from march till august...wide-open...more rain for thursday too JTrew!!!:tounge_out: We will never get skips at this rate....I will hit the river at 105cfs or 125cfs:smile2: matter fact were hitting it friday in a desperate attempt to find shad:wink: for saturdays tournament on Kerr.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, I've always just stayed off the river this time of year. I was just wondering if anyone else braved the raging river, or if they fished the backwaters.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I fish the flats off the river, just getting to them is the trick

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    We are having the same problems here on the Ouchita... It's flooded so bad I can't get on it with this little boat and I can't even get to the old river where the flow wouldn't be bad because the river is over the roads to it. With all this rain every other day I don't know when it will get back into it's banks so I can get to it.

6. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Whiskers,
    My cousin lives in El Dorado and he is killing the catfish on Calion. He caught a 30 lber last week.

7. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    No i havent been on the river here . i called today -just a little while ago and they are at 98000 here at # 4 . I talked to a man yesterday and he is slamming the cats at pendleton (banc fishing ) and also had a cooler full of some real nice skipjack . As for shad i got a year around shad hole here, if you want to mess with crimebluff -oops i mean pinebluff :smile2:

8. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    thanks

9. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Me and the wife went out for awhile today, we put in at Toad Suck and they have the gates open and the water is rolling pretty good. We caught 3 channels-enough for supper tonite but not anything to get excited about, but I call it another fun day fishing.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Where did you catch them? I can almost always count on catching 2 or 3 or 4 along the bluffs across the river from the ramp and downstream just a little. And be sure to do a drift or two by the old stairway down the bluff; it looks like when they built the stairway, they dumped all the rubble into the water right below it. Whatever, there's a big pile just a few feet out from the bottom of the stairway. Good ambush point for catfish.

11. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    We were in the back water to the left of the first big curve to the left.

12. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    Finally got to go fishing at pendleton what a bust, caught 2 dinks and 20 drum:smile2::smile2: fishing from the bank, I did not see a cat caught all day Saturday.

13. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    River is a rollin now. Coming back from degray today I noticed the river was up more than when we went down on Friday. all the tributaries are out of thier banks also. Must of come a big rain here while we were gone as our water tanks are full up, 3000 gallon tank is overflowing.:smile2: More rain on the way.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Lots of rain, coming from Oklahoma way. We got over 3" here in Little Rock.

15. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well Little mac nothing like spreading the good news........:eek:oooh: More rain on the way...........:tounge_out: There gonna stop measuring cfs (cubic feet second) & go to MPH !!!!! about 90 MPH would be accurate right now!!!:001:

16. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Just tryin to help lighten your day big sam :big_smile::big_smile::tounge_out: Just park a trailer down around ozark, put in at the lock and drift on down, should be there in less than an hour:big_smile: Speed drift:eek:oooh: by the way, now that the Arkansas river is as fast as the big muddy on a slow day, should be pretty good fishin :roll_eyes:

17. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Well, look on the bright side, when the river gets to flowing like it is now, you can always hit a area Lake! We have plenty of those here in Arkansas! Always a way to find some fishing if you want to get out there bad enough. Don't matter if it is a river or a lake, high water or low water, you can't catch a fish looking out your living room window at your boat sitting in the yard!:roll_eyes: Or watching your poles sitting in the corner collecting cobwebs from your recliner!:big_smile:

So, get out there and try out some of our area lakes,ponds and other water holes!

18. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I will fish the AR. river hell or high water but will leave with a word of advice I would not put A boat on the river if you paid me to ,I bank fish the dams and I was @ lock 5 sunday and there was huge trees ,stumps and logs going down river one after another all day sunday "VERY DANGEROUS" The locks are wide open. some of the trees would pop up from now where 20 to30 ft in the air. would not want tobe over one when it started to come up so I would take cntry boys advice and mine fish the banks or go to a lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Geez Ray, whars your sense of adventure :smile2::wink: Nope, I wouldnt get on it either right now, your right to dangerous with the trees. Its not the ones you can see, its the ones you cant that will get ya. I have a place I can still fish the river in a boat and not be out in the river itself and be protected by a riprap bank. but right now I cant even do that as the park is flooded, cant get to the ramp:eek:oooh: I went to the local lake and waded up to my knees just to get the boat loaded, water up high and ramp not steep enough. No fish caught as usual......:embarassed: Be safe Mac

20. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Wish i could go i would!!!!:eek:oooh::tounge_out::wink: Work calls:sad2::angry: It aint too high to fish....it has done this every year for the last 3 years..there is plenty of side fishing to do:wink: you can fish clear creek flat Mac bet there is blues on it...use the old ramp down in the farm land:wink: Hell launch in your yard!!!