High Water in Virginia!

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by flathead willie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The James is up about 8 feet up here in Big Island and the boat ramp at the house in under water. I love it. That means more big catfish will be coming up stream. The little dams up here keep them from re-stocking the upper part of the river until it floods. The fishing will be picking up now!

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    with little more rain, I will be able to stock my back yard and fish from the deck! I have always wondered the effect of flooding, and how the fish are able to stay in their usual haunts. For example, Bull Run has breached it's banks and, of course Bull Run runs into the Occoquan River which then flows into the Potomac etc.

3. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    We didn't have Flatheads above Lynchburg until after the flood of 1985. That's when the big fish got here. I started catching them in 1987 and got in an arguement with a game warden I know that said there was none here. The folks I know who have lived on the upper James all their lives had never seen catfish like that before the flood. Another one a couple years later increased the numbers of big cats. Now they are breeding up here and this is the first year in the last 26 that I've been here that I'm catching baby Flatheads.(The smallest I'd ever caught before was about 8-9 pounds. A couple years ago we had a small flood and while the water was still up, I caught the only good sized Blue Cat I've ever caught here, a 14#. I love to see the floods come to this area. It means good fishing for years to come!

4. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I sure hope you are right. I just wish the rain would stop so I can get out there. I am not to good to sit in my car and fish I just don't prefer to. If it hasn't cleared up by this weekend, I'm damn sure gonna do it. :big_smile:

5. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    I think all the rivers are up here in VA. The Appomattox here in Farmville is way up but the rain is finally over. It is time to fish! I've got Mon & Tues off and just took tomorrow & Fri off so I've got 6 straight days of fishing planned! Gonna give 'em the best shot I can! Good luck to all!

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Flathead,

You are talking about the James right?

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea Tom, The James was up good the other day. The Roanoke is going dow already, If it doesn't the rest of the week should be good fishing this weekend. I think I'm headed to Danville to hook up a BOC brother down there and do some fishing.

8. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Flathead,

Thanks. I have not ventured out to see what the local places are like. But with almost a foot of rain over the last week or so, fishing seems out of the question at this point.

9. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I checked on the the old faithful Rap today and it must have crested last night. I was at the city dock in Fredericksburg and the water level was at the top of the pier where the paddle boat docks. I could see the mud line where the it had been up close to the parking lot. Obviously the river was muddy but the current was not as swift as I thought it would be. Hopefully the river will be fishable by Sunday, I am overdue.

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Up here in the mountains it can flood and fall back to normal in 24-48 hours. I've caught alot of cats when the water was up a good bit. Seem to catch more mud cats in high water when it's muddy.

11. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    we had more rain last night, which just adds to the problems. Plus since I am on the down side of the mountains, it takes a while for all the run off to get down this way.