high water catfishing

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by johnboat, May 20, 2009.

1. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    Anyone try the high water on any rivers for cats in the last few days ? I'm thinking about going out on the vermillion near pontiac, but to me it still looks too fast and high.. i'm wanting to lay out a couple of trotlines, and maybe even spend the night if i can find a dry bank, ha! So, i'm just curious to know how many have tried this, and what, luck you've all had..:0a23:

2. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Welcome to the BOC Wes, Can't help ya out on the river

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yea Wes, find ya some ox-bows or nice feeder creeks with back up water and fish them where they dump into the river, Now as for the river you speak, back in early 90's when the Vermilion would be high or flooding, we would go out on Manslowe street (think it is) county hwy 10 or 1600 I think it is, south toward McDowell and turn on 1550 road it will run up to the river bank and follows the river on a curve, Used to do real good there from bank back then, also did well under the McDowell Bridge when the river was running high. Hope that gives ya an idea any way, it has been years since I lived and fished up that way but I would think the spots are still there......Oh one other place we used to do pretty well at high water from bank was there at chautauqau(<----spelling)park along the big bend, find some of them city water/street drain heads and fish right in front of them, some nice scour holes at the ends of them.

4. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    thanks for the input.. i walked down to the river this morning (only live 2 blocks away) and it looks pretty good now.. so it looks like i'll be getting on it soon as i finish the "honey do" list..loland thanks also for the possible honey holes.. i know the river from the billit in pontiac, to mc dowell bridg..

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
  6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have fished the kaskaskia a few times so far without any luck . Caught everything else but no cats . Good luck to you .