High $ vs. Bargain?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Cherokee Rod Man, May 30, 2009.

1. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    This thread seems to have dropped off the radar.....Question is how much is too much $ to drop on equipment? Seems to be a hot topic.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd say anything I spend on a rod other than at walmart or academy is too much. I have a tendency to break rods, and I don't cry as much over a 20 dollar rod as I would one that ran a hundred. Just me...too cheap I guess.

3. Cherokee Rod Man

State:
    Eufaula La
    Thanks for your reply; Hey I talked to Catman George, says he knows you and complemented you on being a heck of a catman! Same here I used to break alot of rods until I went to E-Glass blanks.:cool2:

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I really dont know how much is too much. I have spent 1000 dollars in the past month or so on rods and reels and other equipment. 90 dollars for felliet knives is that too much? Lifetime warranty, knives of alaska. Was that over kill for 2 knives? Good luck to all. SGT Shorey over and out!

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i'm guessing the other thread got a little heated. anyway i have spent upwards of 450 dollars on a hyper performance surf rod 14.5 ft long, tournament butt high end sic guides and for that i have caught fish when no one else was and i own several national distance casting records.

6. Cherokee Rod Man

State:
    Eufaula La
    Hi Mark; Thanks for your reply; I know I've heard your name mentioned from some casting tourney guy's before. There's a member on this site LaBlueHunter who uses Breakaway rods and he related the same thing below Keystone dam near Tulsa, that rod allowed him to reach fish the others could not. It's critical on big spinning rods to get the butt guide placement right for maximum performance.

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That is interesting. How far is your record cast? Thanks.

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Well:confused2: IMHO; $$$ is no object when you desire/Need something that will be built just for you..That will out perform off the rack stuff,hands down.

Again IMHO. I had 1 thing to say to a first time custom rod buyer, it would be. Once they have experienced fishing with a custom rod (built for them) they would buy another and so on, until he had a complete set. All others would become lenders.

Sure there are some good commercially produced rods out there, I’ve had/other Custom built rods in my hands that in all appearances looked just like them in, Pre formed grips, nylon reel seats, mid range ceramic guides, average thread work and finish at the most etc… and they were asking Big $$$ for them and they seemed no better than the commercially produced rods that cost 40-100.

Why? You might ask. It’s simple because the rods were built without any Customer/ individual’s need and specifications. What is a guy gaining by choosing a commercial rod copy over a run of the mill rod??

Besides superior craftsmanship and finish, Custom built rods is all about fine tuning a rod. Blank selection, handles to fit the customers hand size and arm length/ desire. Guides that match the blank, seat and reel height/width along with the type of fishing situation it will be used in. All the components have to work together to build a well balanced, finely tuned piece of fishing equipment for each individual customer.

With that being said, I myself have 7 outfits that would run from 500.-1000.and fish in comfort (perfect balanced rod built for me:big_smile:)with confidence that nothing will fail battling anything that swims in freshwater and alot that swims in SW up to 250+lbs.maybe alot more..

But what I'm trying to say is, You get and pay for what you want!!. IMHO.:cool2:

OH!! If you haven't used a Custom rod ! You should. there is a daylight and Dark difference..

9. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    758ft with a spinning reel (5.25oz)
    699ft spinning (4oz)
    660 spinning (off the ground with a 5.25oz)
    just to name a few:roll_eyes:

10. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    have you ever used an Alvey reel? They cast pretty far

11. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    no i never used an alvey. i had one rule when i started tournament casting and that was that i wanted to use the same gear i fish with which is why i am even prouder of my acheivements i have stood on the feild with some of the best casters in the world and at the end of the day i was fishing with the same outfit i just competed aginst them with. so with that said i am a shimano baitrunner man i upgraded to a thunnus in 2001 and thats what i used to set most of my records.

12. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    High dollar is relative to the person. Someone that doesn't have the money to spend is going to have a completely different opinion to someone that has the money. I've never spent over $150 for a reel or $80.00 for a rod. To me, that's a splurge and I don't do it very often, but to someone else that could be at the bottom of the spectrum.

Just because a person can afford the best of everything doesn't mean that their equipment or skills are any better than a person who is only able to purchase equipment of a lesser price.

In some cases the lesser priced equipment may get more use than the high dollar stuff. Its about what you can afford to spend, how you use your equipment, and how you take care of it.

13. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    joey,
    i agree with you most of my big ticket purchases were years ago and once a year most times. nowadays i have 2 teenage boys so those purchases are all but gone. now don't get me wrong i have and would buy less expensive gear also but like you said what one guy considers expensive another guy may not.

14. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I use my Alvey when bank fishing,when i need to get it out further than my others can cast. I cant cast nowhere near your records but i read where the inventor charles alvey casted one 671ft with 2 oz sinker in the 1930's. For me it casts better with braided line then Monofilament and it holds a a bunch of line. I put one 150yd spool of spider wire and it wants more!

15. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thankyou for shareing Mark.

16. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    once again going back a few years i once spent 300 dollars for a japanese reel sold in england. and sadly that reel has never seen the tournament feild.

17. Cherokee Rod Man

State:
    Eufaula La
    :wink:Now maybe some members can see what we do to fit a rod to the person using it, and for the type fishing they are shooting for. I do this kind of work regularly for tailrace {dam} fishing rods, usually all 1pc. surf rods. The reel seat has to be within 2"-3" of a persons overall arm length for the rig to cast effectivley at least 175-225yds. some accomplished casters can run off 300yds. of line using Abu 7000's on up to 9000-10,000 size reels. why did I not mention spinning? Taboo words around here, go to northern OK, you see lots of guy's throwing spinning tackle. And I get alot of alteration jobs from guy's changing up a rod they bought used. Some people I've re-wrapped their rods numerous times over the years.:big_smile:

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to fish with cheap walmart tackle, will itn catch fish> sure will.

But I find that using nice tackle makes the joy of fishing even more.

When I have a 50-lb flathead on the end of my line I dont have to worry about equipment.

I spend 80-170 bucks each on abu garcia reels.

Rods, I do go a little chaeper, I maunly use ugly stik surf rods in 12 foot length which sell for around 80 bucks each.

I also use american spirit rods at around 40 bucks each.

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I just like to us a rod that's better than what you can get at Wal-Mart but there is absolutely no way that I will ever and I repeat ever spend the money for a $500 or $700 combo or rod. I have full confidence that my American Spirit rods and Tidewater reels will reel in any catfish I'm ever gonna hook, period.

I don't know how much money some people make but $500 on one outfit is absurd. I don't personally care how they "feel" or what kind of neat graphics or colorful thread or handle material they have on them, my main concern is do they get fish from the water to the bottom of my boat?? Well mine do and they do so for a cost that normal people can afford. I would recommend to anyone that is looking to get into the sport to absolutely NOT get a custom rod right off(there are some instances where you may....when extreme casting distance is needed but you could easily get away with a rod much cheaper there too). You can outfit an entire boat with rods AND reels for what one single rod without a reel would cost you. I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather be fishing than saving any day of the week:wink:

20. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    "But I find that using nice tackle makes the joy of fishing even more.

When I have a 50-lb flathead on the end of my line I dont have to worry about equipment.

I spend 80-170 bucks each on abu garcia reels.

Rods, I do go a little chaeper, I maunly use ugly stik surf rods in 12 foot length which sell for around 80 bucks each.

I also use american spirit rods at around 40 bucks each."
    [/QUOTE]
    I agree, whether it's fishing tackle, knives, guns, or Motorcycles...