High Rock Suggestions

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Riverfish3r, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hello everybody. Me and my fishing buddy are heading up to High Rock Saturday morning about 5ish and are looking to catch a few flatheads. We will be coming dow 85 from Burlington. I was just wanting to know if anybody had any suggestions as faw as where some shad might be (pretty good at a cast net)? Any other suggestions as to what part of the lake might be good...like abbotts creek. Preciate any help. CMJ...got any suggestions? Just looking for some sport, we CPR the bigguns.

2. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Hey , I would be lost on High Rock, but there are a few more on here that can help you. Maybe they will post a reply.

3. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I have been catching shad around the bridges in early morning at the dutch landing ,but only get bit on live bluegill/crappies = flats and channel's up river around deep structure 15 to 25' works for me.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    If you're after channels, there is a nice flat down near the damn on the left side of the lake before you get to Flat Swamp Creek. There is a little rock pile sticking out of the water just a little off the bank in the area. They are usually there. Livers, works, and shrimp work well as do cut bait. The best bait for channels however, are the mussels that are native to the lake. If you can find/dig some of those you are guaranteed channels. Most in the area I'm suggesting aren't that large, but I have hooked up on some bigguns there:big_smile: Also around the large rocks at the damn and if you're putting in at Abbots Creek right on the right before you get to the main lake there is a little rock vein with some timber on it that can be productive. There is also usually some shad around the rock pile I mentioned earlier if you get there early in the morning. All this info is old since I haven't catfished there in a few years, but that's the way it used to be. Hope some of this helps.

5. wake4est

wake4est New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the info..

6. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thansk everybody, I will give you an update on Monday of how we do

7. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    ihave been catching shad upp in in crane creek i just havent been using them bream or raccon perch or war mouth perch is the best bet u can catch them around any shallow structure right now one of the best arears to fish right now for flats is from above crane creek to the mud flats

8. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We ended up spending 12 hours on the lake, from 6a-6p. We launched over at the High Rock ramp at US 8 and began casting for shad. We caught several, but they were about 1-2 inches long, and just a few in the 3-4 range. We couldn't fit the boat under most of the bridges, it was too tall by about 3 inches. We had a few bites everywhere we went but the circle hooks kept turning into our baits. We got some better shed un in Crane's Creek neat goat island. All day we caught 2 3-4 lb channels near the mouth of the flats