High Rock Report - 6/3/06

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Tarheel, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    Fished from 6 PM to 4 AM. Water temp was 79 degrees along the main channel. Fished openings of major creeeks into the main channel. Overall fishing is still quite slow compared to previous years. Just can't get the quanity of bites that I had last year. Finished with 8#, 7.5#, 7# and 4# channels. That was it.... not even any babies. Still filled up the cooler because the first 3 were good size. I was using cut shad on carolina rigs. Two of them were filled with eggs so I guess the spawn is late this year.

Any other reports from the Rock?

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    tarheel i tried highrock last night for the first time. caught three channels but that wasnt my main target. i want to figure them flatheads out on highrock. i was mainly just looking around at different areas of the lake tring to locate some bigger fish. i didnt see as much structure with ledges and hump as compared to badin. the lake seem more like a desert on the bottom. this might have been due to the areas i was in. i am a catch and release fisherman no matter what size fish so if anybody can point me in the right direction. i would appreciate it. i know the weather was not the best last night so that might have been my biggest problem.

3. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    You are correct, High Rock is like a desert. Very little structure. If you run up and down the side of the main channel you will find some points but that is about it. I try to fish points and deeper holes.

4. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I read in the North Carolina Sportsman last year that tournament cat fish anglers were catching big flatheads up in Abbotts creek north of the Hwy.8 bridge. What I saw in the magazine were huge flatheads. Becareful when you get back there a ways in about 1/4 to 1/2 mile past the Holloway bridge [2nd bridge] it gets real shallow. Good luck!

5. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I normaly try fishing deep holes and any points i can find up by the dam, havent pulled anything big out of there yet, but me and my father in law have hook some fish that broke our 20 and 30# test.