high rock lake 7/1

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bigdmat, Jul 1, 2008.

1. bigdmat

bigdmat New Member

State:
    lexington,nc
    went to high rock today, got there about 5:30am and got plenty of threadfin right at the ramp, then went to the first hole and started catching channels from 3 to 6 pounds. caught 8 and lost 3 right at the boat, plus 2 flatheads at 5 and 6 pounds. their preference was live baithead first. fished that same hole until about 10 or so when the bite stoped. we took a little break to get a bite .we decided to keep fishing,continued with live bait. tried a couple of different spots with little results and then the bite returned but the bites we got were hit on the tail and only hooked up on a couple small ones.kept getting strikes on the tail, so i tried to change presentation but ran out of time before i got it figured out :angry: my fishing partner had to leave. never really had them to hit the tail like that before, or maybe i haven't paid that much attention. so i was wondering what your opinions would be to solve that problem?

2. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    When I'm getting short hits like that I try to shorten up the bait just a little and also i will butterfly shad or gills and hook them twice so if they take the bait they have the hook. It works for me and my fishin' partners, so try it or we have changed bait and it worked also. I always use different kinds of baits presented different ways and find the one that works and I stick to it. Hope this helps!!

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks/sounds like a great fishing trip. congrats.

4. bigdmat

bigdmat New Member

State:
    lexington,nc
    rob. thanks for the ideas and by the way had never tried eating flathead before alwys channels but decided to keep the 5 pounder and try it and she was still full of eggs