High Rock Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by miichael, Nov 2, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Went down to high rock again last night and found a few more flatties. They was biting slow but we managed to get 6. We caught 4lb, 5lb, 7lb, 8lb, 13lb, and my uncle got his biggest flattie @ 34lb. Here's a few pictures of the fish.

2. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A few more pics.

3. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Awsome bunch of flatties.thx for posting pictures.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    michael did find the fish to be at the same spot as the other week? congrates on the catch

5. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    They would alot better if they were released back into the lake. I tell you over the years I've learned to really respect the flatheads. Thier are the top predtor in freshwater and I have so much fun catching them I couldn't ever see myself ever taking one home. Catching big flats is such a rush, a real challenge. Keeping afew stripers might be another story. See-ya.

6. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Is it just me or are them Flats bright colored?

Great catch..... Thanks for the pics.... Keep em coming...

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've never seen one that yellow. They sure are bright. That's odd

8. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I have caught several flats like that at Badin. I think it's a certain time of year they turn yellow like that. The ones I caught were from the fall also. Out of the 300 flats I caught this past summer not one was yellow like those pictures. I bet it's got to do with the cold water setting in.

9. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Nice catch overall.

I am assuming from the pics that the fish were kept and not CPR. Kind of a bummer given the decline in Flatties in the Yadkin chain of lakes.

10. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    More Flatheads in High Rock than people think. I dont believe taking a few out to eat is gonna hurt the lake any at all. Not like we caught 40-50 fish and kept them all. Come on guys 6 fish? A mans gotta eat.

Iv seen people jug fish and catch 50+ fish and keep everyone of them. Also at cape fear where shocking is legal every single fish they shock up they keep sometimes keeping 100+ fish of ALL sizes. That's what hurts lakes is commercial fisherman that jug fish or use trot lines.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Nice fish and I have to agree 6 fish to eat is not to many. I keep some fish also.

12. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
    We had a great time catching those fish. Laid back talking about old time we had hunting and stuff waiting on the rods to become active. :big_smile:

That 34lb fish sure had the power! Its like i've read here about how strong those flats are man they are.

Flatheads are some of the best eating cats out there. Im glad theres alot of people that do catch and release there fish. If everyone did that then we would have the same problem as we do with deer all over the US. Over population of them and disease.

13. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Nice Bunch of Flats Michael!! What times Supper? Those will be lip smacking GOOD. Congrats and Reps to You Sir. Your Friend J.D.:0a18:

14. Shadwrap06

Shadwrap06 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice mess of fish there! 34lbs wow thats great for ole High Rock. Are the flats up in the creeks still or out in the deep?

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    nice flatheads guys , even better eaten . eat all you want i do . and when their all gone il fish for bass .

16. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    nice fish, its ok to keep a few every once in a while, around the number 6 sounds like a good mess to keep. OMO. FISH ON !

17. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Michael, it doesn't take long to hurt a lake when people start keeping flatheads and blues. You keep 6. Somebody else keeps some, and somebody else keeps some. That happens day after day and before long, there aren't near as many left in the lake.They take too long to grow. Tuckertown, as an example, used to have more flatheads than anywhere in that area but people kept them and it got pretty much fished out. 30 or 40 nice flatheads per trip was a good possibilty 20 years or more ago. You should catch channels to eat and release all of the flatheads and blues. Channel cats can be replaced much easier.

18. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I didnt realize that was such an issue with catfish. But I guess it is like everything else in nature, we as humans are large consumers and our numbers are growing as our natural areas are becoming smaller and more polluted. I've watched alot change in my short 40 yrs and it makes me sad to know it is affecting even what was once considered a fish for food and culled by sportsmen... I enjoy fishing of all types both freshwater and salt and hope to teach my nephews as well as they come of age...
    I always release my larger catches, keep only a few pan sized channels and occasional blue and buy most of my fish from market as farm raised in general...

19. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I like eating small channels but when you cut into a channel and they have that yellow strip down there back you have to cut that out. Why kill a fish if your going to have to waste some of it? just like stripers, there great to eat after you cut all the red out of it. What a waste to kill a fish your not going to eat everything. Every fish i catch i keep everything. Flatheads i make nuggets with the meat around its jaws and even the meat on its head. Also that belly meat is great! none of the fish is wasted. That's why i prefer Flatheads over channels. Don't kill a fish unless you plan to eat everything.

20. DustinH1979

DustinH1979 New Member

State:
    Raleigh,NC
    whats up guys...im new to the website....but yea is this lake that your fishing and gettin them flats out of smal or a bigger lake.??? those are some pretty flats 2 bud..........we need to go catch some on the cape fear sometime..........