High Rock flathead catfish and acid rain

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by MERUSS, Feb 11, 2007.

1. MERUSS

MERUSS New Member

State:
    nc
    Went to High Rock today to troll for crappie. When its cold in Feb we sort of have them patterned. But a funny thing always seems to happen, we usually catch one or two nice flatheads if we can manage to land them with b&m poles and 6lb test.
    Today was no exeption only landed one though only about 4lbs. Oh yeh the acid rain part thats the name of the jig they seem to hit alot.
    Do any of ya'll target flatheads in Feb? My best time for flatheads is usually late May and June.

2. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    i've never tried to catch flatheads in the winter. I've always heard they were pretty much inactive. The coldest I've caught 'em is about 50 degree water. There has been a lot of talk this winter about flatheads in cold water though. For me, I'll stick to blues in the winter and go back to the flatties in the spring. How did you do on the crappie. I've always wanted to do a little crappie fishing and I do fine on minnows, but haven't figured the jig thing out yet. see ya

3. MERUSS

MERUSS New Member

State:
    nc
    We found the crappie where we thought, but the wind wouldn't let us do our deal just right. Still we probably caught around 40 and kept about a dozen 10 inchers for one guy we know to have a little fish fry

4. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    I CAUGHT FLATHEADS IN COLDER WATER THIS YEAR THAN I EVER HAVE , BUT I BELIEVE IT WAS BECAUSE I WAS FLATLINING AND JUST KEPT MY BAIT RIGHT IN THEIR FACE FOR A WHILE

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We had a tment this weekend a there was 1 5# flatty weighed in. The water temp was around 42deg. I have not caught any myself after it got below 50deg but I have always read if u put it in their face they will bite.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i hear alot of folks catch flatheads at highrock trolling for crappie with jigs myself. highrock has a great population of flatheads and maybe they are feeding on what the crappie are in the winter time or even the crappie. highrock tournments are always won with 100lb plus stringers with the nccats. highrock also hold the record for most weight in a nccats tournament and the nccats fishes santee once a year also. record for 5 fish in nccats is close to 148lbs for 5 fish. highrock is the best bet for fisherman looking for flatheads in nc lakes that i know of. sad thing is i never fish it but thats going to change this year.

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Hey Michael, just let me know when you are going to go to High Rock. I'd be glad to join ya' up there. I"ve never been on the lake I don't think. I may have fished it one time when I bass fished, but that's been a good while. let me know, but that's a good ways off yet. still pretty chilly! later