High Rock Flathead? 7/18/08

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cueball149, Jul 22, 2008.

1. cueball149

cueball149 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Went crappie fishing in my friends pontoon boat on Friday night. When he hooked on to a 7" bream, I told him to give it to me for bait. I hooked the bream through the lips and toss him out. Later when I was checking my bait, the bream was dead as a door nail. I didn't see any teeth marks on it. Does anyone think that a flat head killed it but did not take the hook and spit it back out? BTW, we caught 9 keepers. Anything even close to 8" we threw back.

2. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    A flathead did not hit your bait or your rod would have doubled and the brim woud have been mangled up or smashed. He died from lack of oxyge. High Rock has spots of dead water on the bottom. I've fought this problem all year. You have to check baits regularly especially if fishing deeper than ten foot. If you fish deeper than the thermocline, your bait will not last long at all and there are no fish down there right now. Hope this helps

3. cueball149

cueball149 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    No wonder nothing hit my cut shad on the other rod.

4. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina
    About what debt would the thermo-cline be located at this time of the year at High Rock vs. a much larger and deeper lake like Norman. I do a lot of fishing on Norman and as far as blues are concerned musscles are a major part of their diet. Is the 10 to 20 feet debt range where i need to be or how much deeper could i go and not be fishing dead water.

5. fish-n-pitch

fish-n-pitch New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree with rookie in some aspect the low oxygen levels is what killed your bait, but you can catch flatheads where your bait is dying the flatheads are still there. I have had my bait die at spots this year and would change to a fresh bait and catch a flathead you just need to keep good lively bait on if oxygen levels are low.

6. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I fished highrock nccats tourny a month or so ago and I noticed the themocline I thought at 14' the majority of the lake .So I didn't fish deeper than that.

7. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Yea I havent been on High Rock lately fishing but i passed it the other day and noticed they been sucking water out of it like it aint no thing here lately. I crossed on stokes ferry road in fishermans cove and i could have run farther in the mud on foot than i could drive my boat. How did you fair in the tournament?

8. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Im not sure but I wasn't in the top 5 .I did catch a 39.7 lb flathead in that tourny and still didn't have big fish.

9. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Some buddies and I caught some channels up in abbotts creek above the hollaway ch rd bridge last weekend off some homemade brew. Action was pretty slow up in there, but found a lot of bait down in flat swamp, the water was much clearer which seems to be the case most of the time.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I will agree that no flathead hit your bait, it would have been a big fish and it would have hit hard

11. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If your having problems with water temerature and low oxygen levels try using some live salty's they can tolerate very warm water and low oxygen levels and are extremely lively. If you want to pm me or leave a message on my profile page I can tell you a local bait shop where you can find them and there are also a couple of place online where you can order them.

Shane

12. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I guess I should have mentioned too that you should check the legalities of using non-native species of live bait when using them. Im not sure about that part I just know you can drop them 65 feet deep and bring them back up into 91 degree surface water and they are still pumping. Just dont want to get anybody in trouble.:cool2: