High, Low...Let er' Flow!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Mar 25, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    With all the early spring rain, this is gonna be another year to get out on the river as soon as the boat ramps show their face , to see what kind of change mother nature has brought us. This is my favorite time of the year. As temps. warm and the river stages are fastly changing day to day, it is a great time to go for a daytime scouting trip to see the the spots, that are no longer spots, and the new ones that have been formed. It will be a good while before we can call things normal, but that ok! If the river never changed its banks, then it would just be the same old same old! I can't wait to get out there on the boat and look things over for this upcoming summer! rollo

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I figure the way this spring has been going, we should have good water levels by August ... :eek:oooh: ... It is already a 10 degree below average in temps for this time of years ... so imagine will be a long cool spring them jump into a hot dry summer ... then we can complain about the heat .... Garry- :wink:

3. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Rollo, how does the river look now? I was on the USGS site and the water seems to be dropping but it is still high. I wonder if it will be alittle safer by Sunday.

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey Phil ... are you going to try the River or Dillon ??? ... Garry-

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dunno phil... i am thinking maybe by next weekend. It is a mess down here still. I filled the bait tank up yesterday with gills and crappies, now its a waiting game. i will fish it as soon as i can get my boat in somewhere, but it is just ridiculous still....rollo

6. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Now that you mentioned it, that is a good question. If I can't get on the river then Dillion may be a better option. I'm not too concered about fishing, I want to run this motor I bought. I am bringing my fishing gear with me also.

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I was just looking at water flow charts and it appears they began closing the gates at Dillon the water flow below dam has dropped down below 9 1/2 feet vs. 11 plus feet this morning .... they may be shutting the gates some to let the Muskingum normalize somewhat ... the Licking is almost down to normal ...Garry-

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio

Phil .... Dillon is still up about 28 feet too ..... don't know about the ramps there ........ Garry-

9. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Rain is in the forecast for Thurs, Fri, and Sat. Looks like it will be a last minute decision:sad2:

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea hopefully I will be able to get out soon

11. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im hopefully gonna be getting my new jon boat out on the GMR scouting finding some new holes this year. Water is starting to finally go back down around here. Thats just until the next big rainy day though:angry:

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know leaving the poles at home might be the hardest thing to do, but from my experiences you can scout and fish and learn, but...it is hard to scout when you wanna fish! I usually do atleast 2- 5 days of early spring scouting just me, the boat, and the depth finder. This elliminates the urge to setup and relax. I will guarentee if you leave the tackle at home for a trip or even two, you will pay attention to detail and gain more from it than fishing by covering more area also. Yes, its often hard to get a good impression without wetting a line, but to me there will be plenty of days and nights to go thru the process of ellimination of these spots. REMEMBER, break each section of river down, and take your time when doing so. Some of the best spots I have found are not the most obvious, and small details could be missed by moving too quickly.... goodluck bro's.....rollo

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i will be out this weekend scouting and checking out my holes if the weather holds out. it amazes me how fast the GMR goes back down after a good flood. i know for a fact one has drastically changed, hopefully for the better.

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i wish the muskingum dropped fast. seems like it may be not fishable for a while...:confused2: rollo

15. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    The Gmr is a crazy river I've been sitting there fishing for a few hours on the bank and i look down and the river came up. It amazes me too on how fast it will rise and go down after flooding.

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't mind me boys, just making a run to get to 2300! :wink:

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    congrats on the soon to be promotion jack.....rollo

18. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I agree it is just a pretty site of the fishin a river.

19. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey Jack .... did they spell that wrong ... wise what? ..... :wink: