High country catfish

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jaytee, Aug 21, 2007.

1. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    Howdee, any folks had the opportunity to fish for channels @ upper lake mary, ashurst or other lakes in the Flagstaff area? any experience with pikes? looking forward to a week in the pines and prefer kitties instead of trout. Any reply is appreciated. Thanks, J.T.

2. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Hey James. Give Kinnikinick Lake a try this lake has a good population of channels chicken livers work good there. Lake Mary is pretty good at times for nice size channels try using anchovies at first light. For the pike and crappies try 2'' chartreuse curly tail grubs and make sure you use a steel leader. Ashurst has some nice pike but not many channels.

Good luck.
    Larry

3. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I caught 18 channels one night about 15 years ago at Rainbow Lake in Lakeside Arizona. The smallest was 5 lbs and we caught several over 10lbs. We used trout heads with the guts still attached. I've never been back since. One of these days..........
    Micah

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Jaytee, right now the pike are just murdering buzzbaits!! I fished there a week ago and just killed em. Make sure you have a trailer hook and just slow roll it. Start at the damn, and if that isnt enough just bank bank and you will surely have a blast!:eek:oooh:

5. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    JT,

Upper Lake Mary has a fair amount of channels in it. I have fished the lake quite a bit and usually manage to get several good eaters each time (ranging from 3 to 5lbs mostly). There are larger channels, but they usually are pretty rare. I do not know much about the pike, but I have also heard that they are nailing buzzbaits pretty good.

Kinnikinnick Lake is also a really nice place to fish. It takes some time to get to, but is worth it. I have had success with both channel and flatheads in this small lake. Most people do not know there are flatties here. The largest flathead that I know of that was caught out of here was a 17lber about four years ago. The channels seem to be smaller than those in Upper Lake Mary, but they are really active. Using waterdogs brings the most success on either lake...which can be purchased at the Lake Mary Country Store.

Lake Ashurst is full of trout, but there have been reports by several of my friends that there are some pike that have "happened" to get into the lake.

Ryan

6. GarH

GarH New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Wow, some great info!!! I've often wondered about high country Cats. Has anyody fished the Black river for Cats?

7. GarH

GarH New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Micah, what part of Rainbow Lake where you fishing?

8. Capt_Catfish

Capt_Catfish New Member

State:
    az
    ive always caught some nice channels in black river. you just need to find the deep holes, there are some nice ones in there. problem is getting to those holes

9. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ

First post! Welcome aboard, Capt!

10. Capt_Catfish

Capt_Catfish New Member

State:
    az
    :big_smile:thanks! im glad to be on this site!

11. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Hello Jeff welcome to the BOC...Best catfishing site on the net.

12. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    Gahr

I was fishing right at the dam. We were tieing a 2 " leader with a trailer hoo putting one throgh the head and wrapping the guts around the other. We were throwing them out with no weight and let them naturally sink to the botom. We would let them take off with it and run abot 10 yards and set the hook. Some were hitting them before they ever sank.

Micah

13. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    Whats the horsepowere limit an Lake Mary. I've got a 14 footer with a 30 horse. Also, is there any camping on the lake? Would I be able to take my gear in the boat and camp on the shore?

Micah

14. Capt_Catfish

Capt_Catfish New Member

State:
    az
    no camping at lake mary
    camp ground across from the lake, off lake mary road.
    there is another a little down as well.
    there is no horsepower limit, watch out for the flag staff weekend warriors in thier speedboats on sunday

15. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    good info, looking forward to my trip. Thks to all who replied.