Hideaway Harbor? How's the fishing around that area?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bhos, Oct 8, 2008.

1. bhos

bhos New Member

State:
    Wentzville, MO
    Anyone ever put in at Hideaway Harbor park on the Missouri side north of Alton? How busy is it on the weekends and how's the fishing around that area? Thanks.

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I am not familar with that area but Welcome to the BOC, Brian

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Brian welcome to the BOC. Like Miller I dont know anything about that area. But it wont be long before someone chimes in and helps you out. There are a lot of great people on here. With a wealth of information and willing to share it.

Tom

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Brian.

5. bhos

bhos New Member

State:
    Wentzville, MO
    Thanks for the warm welcome :) I guess I may go up and try that ramp out here in a little while. It's right next to portage desouix, so no too far up from the dam. I scouted it yesterday, it looks pretty nice, two ramps, one straight into the river, the other into a small lake with no current that connects right to the river. It has a courtesy dock on the lake side which is really nice since I'll be fishing alone most of the time. Big parking lot and best of all, it's free, park is run by the st.charles county parks dept.

6. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    How do you get to Hideway Harbor from Saint Charles?

7. bhos

bhos New Member

State:
    Wentzville, MO
    You take 94 North from 370 for about 8.5 miles, turn left on Rees Rd. go about a mile, turn right on Portage go about 3 miles, turn left on Sioux (there's a sign for the park here), just follow that back about 1/2 mile and you're there. It's just north (west) of portage de sioux.

8. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    I put in there all the time and it’s not usually busy this time of year. In the summer it gets real busy early morning and just before dusk. Be careful if you put in at the ramp near the dock and stay in the middle going out to the river. It’s between 4 and 10 feet deep with it changing to about 2.5 feet deep just before you enter the river. Also stay away from the back of the cove near the wooden poles there are a lot of stumps in that area. As far as fishing goes the power plant inlet and outlet are usually good. It’s was also pretty good on both sides of the island across from the power plant, before the flood. There are a lot of good areas around there you’ll just have to look around. If you are going to fish with Asian’s or Shad you will have no problem getting them with a cast net in the same area you put your boat in at. Good luck :roll_eyes:

9. jdmert

jdmert New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am from that area, near Orchard Farm. Should not be a problem like stated above, lots of parking few boats this time of year. Nice stretch of water, fished it last year with some success, usually fish a little further up river.

10. bhos

bhos New Member

State:
    Wentzville, MO
    Thanks for the info. Just got back from a there, put in about 2pm, didn't seem terribly busy, maybe 8 or 9 trailers in the lot. I tried to cast a net for some bait near there, but have never used a cast net before, so that didn't work out so well :) Fortunately, a couple asian carp must have noticed and felt pity, so they hopped into the boat for me. Tried up by the power plant outlet for a while and a couple other spots, no bites, but it was a nice day to be on the water.