Hide your fishing spot

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by DeerHunter01, Jan 19, 2006.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a question, why do people hide there fishing spots from other catfishermen. I have been fishing my entire life and I have never hid any of my fishing spots yet !!

If you catch and release, are you catching and releasing just for yourself or is it released so someone else might be able to enjoy catching it. I have shown alot of fishermen on this site and alot of friends where I fish and hope they can catch one too. I enjoy it just as much as if I would catch the fish to see someone else catch it.

I have noticed that its almost a sin to say where you caught your fish on the water with some people, is there going to be a mad rush to your location. I have never turned anyone down that ask where I caught my fish at. Maybe someday I will but right now, I have never gone back to my spots and found Jim, Joe, Steve, and Fat Albert sitting in my hole..lol

Speaking of my spot !! do we really have a spot or is the water owned by the State, which everyone owns. Every time I go out fishing I spend a hour or so looking over the graph to find the fish I want to fish for, and then I set up and fish my spot for that day.

And how about taking pictures of your fish and making sure no one can see the background of where your fishing. That makes alot of sense, do you think they should film T.V. Fishing shows and black out the back ground. So you wont fish where they did, let me ask a question ? How did you find your fishing spot ? was it cause someone showed you or you seen it on a picture ? or were you told where to go fish from a local tackle shop. What would of happened when you started everyone did the same thing to you. LOL it don't make much sense to me. We are all here to learn catfishing and be part of it, and I don't know very many people that keep Catfish of any size except eaters. So why hide your fishing spots. Just thought I had to ask ?

Enjoy your fishing in 2006 and your more then welcome to come fish with me, I will show you where I fish..lol

2. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Great post ! I may tease a little bit but, if someone wanted to come with me I would show them where the big boys are.

3. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Personally I feal as if there are enough fish for us all to share. You are correct..... it's not my spot or your spot. It is managed for everyone to enjoy.
    I have not seen it so much with catfishing as you do with bass tourneys. Some of those guys cover their poles so you can't see what kind of lures they use. Personally I think for the most part catfishermen are the kindest, most easy to talk to group of anglers.

David Frantz

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I agree Eric!! Great post.

5. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Thanks for showing me all of those bass fishing spots Eric!

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Pssst, Who is this Jim, Joe, Steve, and Fat Albert of which you speak? Are they a secret group of catfishing hit men that will Bogart your spot if you inadvertantly let slip the location?:p :p
    Seriously Eric, you make a very good point. Any spot is only ours while we are there. I tend to live by the motto "If you can help someone, you should." You tend to meet some nice folks when you are willing to be helpful...W

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good post

Here is how I do it. I will show people where I fish if they catch and release big fish and it hasn't happened yet but I already know if someone showed me a good spot I would not fish it again unless I was by myself I would not show anyone else a spot someone showed me. I think that's just respectfull and I can see where that could get out of hand real quick. Just telling one wrong person could lead to 20 people cleaning out the spot.

I think I would get much enjoyment from seeing someone catch a trophy fish from a spot I showed them.

We don't own any spots but some guys spend many hours to find a good hole so I do think respect should guide or actions on the water. Let's don't do to any fisherman anything that we wouldn't want any fisherman to do to us.

Danny

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Excellent post, DH. I agree completely. Are we naive enough to think that we are the only persons who have ever fished 'my secret spot'? When I'm out, I usually try to allow some time to check out new places, and you can bet I pay attention to where others fish, too, for future reference. However, I will not invade an area where someone else is fishing, while they are there, and I will get upset if someone intrudes on my current spot, too. At least have the courtesy to wait until I leave! In fact, if I have my limit, or am forced to leave fish biting, I will probably invite you to move in after I'm gone.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have had two people **** me like that DH! the first guy wanted to know where to catch some channel cats. we talked about catch n release and i assumed we were on the same page. two days later i see these 6-7# cats on a web site and strung up. chunk that spot in the trash! understand this was a small creek and bridge situation.

had a simillar thing happen with a flathead spot(a good one). childhood friend gets into flats and asked me to take him out. well it took a while for me to come clean with him. i did because (again) i thought we were on the same page and he really seamed to understand. well he did release all fish after perading a 40 around, and taking 4 other people( that i know of ) to fish that spot! another good bank spot hammered by litter bugs and fish mongers!

these spots suffered as a result so,those are just two of the reasons that im "selfish" about my spots. lol

blame me?

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if someone is hiding a fishing area in their photos, or not revealing the locations of their catches, then obviously they HAVE experienced what you mentioned! not all of us are blessed with living in a fertile areas and limitless spots to fish. i for one dont want every "rookie" out there bum-rushing the areas i fish and then broadcasting it all over the place. i will give a person all the advice that i can but when it comes to revealing "honey holes" forget it. there are some things your gonna have to learn on your own. i have experienced all of the above and even worse, that has made me the way i am. besides, what does it matter if i hide or not?

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Great Question!
    Here in Ohio where we are very over populated and there just isnt very much public water ( Ohio has crappy Access laws) the spots are very hard to comje by. And when you find a real good spot, it is even harder to come by. In the old days, ( Pre Internet) Folks had to be int he Loop to find out good spots and these were folks you knew and trusted to be good CPR types of fishermen. Now with the Internet, and the severe "Lurking" that happens from less then the prefered types ( Meat Hunters,Pay lake sellers, and Litter Bugs)always looking for a free ride to a great spot. This is why here in Ohio, most of us are pretty tight lipped about our good spots.

Now we do not own the fish but we are all stewards of the state when we are on public waters and I want to insure that when I CPR, that that fish and all his offspring will be there for me and the next generation of fishermen that come after Im long gone. Selective harvest is ok but if 100 folks all fish the same spot and all keep 1 flathead a year from that spot, it wont be long before Ill be looking for another spot.

Out west and down south, there is lots of trophy cat water but up here in the upper Midwest, only certain rivers have fishable populations and that adds another twist to why its tough to find access on those few rivers.

My last 2 spots I found on my own by using my resources and did my own homework to find them.

Thats my take on it.

Im sure others from Ohio will add to this but im sure they will agree!

Salmonid

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I live in Ohio, you dont tell anyone about where you catch fish, unless you want the spot to be overun with people..This is especially true on small to medium sized rivers..About 4 years ago on a ohio fishing forum I made a post about where I was catching some nice cats at..I was on vacation the next 10 days and was unable to fish this spot because of all the people who were now fishing it, I had not seen anybody else fish it in the previous 5 years...Ohio has very limted amounts of access to our rivers, and a very limited amount a big fish.

13. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Guys here is the part that I don't understand, I have known several fishermen that fished for catfish that liked to take them all home, but after they fished with me and after talking to them and showing them this site, they don't take anymore fish home. I feel this is up to us to help preserve the fishing for us and our children, and if we don't help it who will. So sure you can be hiding your spots thats up to you but when a person goes that you have showed where to fish and they start keeping the fish and trucking them around to show everyone, then that when its time for you and them to have the one on one talk alone and show them why its important to catch and release fish, show them this site for them to learn too, just the way you did. Sure there is always that 1 or 2 people that you can't make understand that if they keep taking there will be nothing left, but the vast amount of people you deal with just need to be taught the right way.

This is no different then a person that wants to speed in a car real fast after he gets whacked a few times he will settle down and drive right or he wont have a drivers license anymore, well the same way with fishing, if he don't want to come to earth with the way it should be then he will lose his friends and then he will realize what has he done. But its up to us to try and keep trying to make people understand what catfishing is about. Do you give up on this person if they don't listen the first time. Heck no take them fishing again and talk to them about it.

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Just a question. What makes anyone think these spots we call honey holes aren't fished all the time when we're not there? Do we really believe we own these spots? And that we're the only fisherman smart enough to find them? How many times have any of us been fishing in one of these honey holes and seen another catfisherman go by in a boat. Or just walk by where we've set up? Ooops, there goes the big secret. If you're fishing there, then it must be good, right? Maybe they didn't notice, right? I can understand when you don't broadcast the spots you like to fish, but to black out the banks in photos? Rediculous in my opinion. I'd just as soon you didn't even post them if you're gonna do that. Cause it's not even a good picture like that in my opinion. Bank spots you have to work to get to, then that's understandable too. But face it if you can get there, so can anyone. And they probably do. You come here to fish with me and I'm gonna take you to all my good spots. My spots only because I fish them a lot, not because I'm so full of myself that I think I'm the only person smart enough to find it and fish it. Private ponds are a totally different thing to me. My neighbor had some people sneak in and fish a pond totally out of 10 to 20 lb channel cats last summer. But I don't think anyone is gonna sneak in and fish out the whole Cumberland River system. It's possible I guess, but so is me winning the lottery. Not likely.

I guess I can give an example of what bothers me. LOL I used to fish this spot on our river and it produced some great fish. In fact my personal best was caught there. 47 lb Blue cat. There is a 55 gallon drum on the bank there that I hadn't noticed. One of my friend's was telling me about a place he fished with a guide. He described it and said it had that drum on the bank. I knew the spot because it's also just upstream of a feeder creek he described. So the next time I was there I saw the drum. I posted to him that night on the old board that I had seen the drum. Next time I saw him he said that the guide he had been fishing with got on him about telling me about that spot I had been fishing for a year before that. Think that's good? He thought nobody else knew about that spot I guess. We sure can fool ourselves into believing nobody else is as good as we are sometimes I guess.

15. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I have only one spot that i dont tell others about only my friends know where it is and that because the park its at there is always alot of people there and when you start catching fish they have to move within 10 friggin feet of you. its well off the road so most people wouldnt even go to it even if i did tell them. its not my honey hole just the place we go to when we want to spend all day and night and be able to drink beer, fish and not be botherd. but every where else i am willin to show people even willin to show them my honey hole.

16. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My spot, your spot, whoever's spot. I would rather tell 100 people about a good spot than keep it to myself. Then there would be 100 people who could possibly enjoy catching fish!

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well guys I have to tell you I don't have a "SPOT" problem.When I bought my boat I made sure it had a huge live well so I could keep my catch alive for the tournaments.When I quit fishing "My" spot I just pick it up and put it in the livewell.If you have good aireation and current, a spot will stay alive in a live well just about forever.When I get home I put them in my big tank, then when I go fishing again I load them up in the live well.That way if I get to a place where my spot should be but somebody is fishing it I just take the real spot out of the livewell and put it where I want it,fish it, catch fish and then take it home with me.You have to be careful handling spots because they will break up and look like regular fishless water if you are to rough with them.Keeping spots at 70 degrees or so also prolongs there life.I have spots at home in the big tank that I have been using for years and the best thing is nobody can steal my spots,they are highly portable,and when placed in new locations become new spots so the supply is endless.:rolleyes: :p :)

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LMAO....call us selfish, call us egotist's, call us whatever. if you decide to hide your spot or not, its up to you. your a free individual and can do whatever you want. no guilt here.

19. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    God posts guys. I guess I keep some spots to myself. But for the most part I do like to see people catch fish and have fun. Isn't that was it's all about.

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am a bankfishermen, alot not all of my spots require walks which are difficult and sometimes dangerous ..Not to many people around me are willing to go thru what I do to get to a secluded fishing spot..Now if I fished from a boat, and fished a big river such as the ohio or mississippi I dont think I would be as tight lipped about it...But Like I said alot of my spots are so small you can cast across them, so they can be fished out quick.