Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by ersel, Feb 28, 2007.

1. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I saw some of the most unique Hibiscus the other day. They are a cajun line of tropical Hibiscus from Dupont nursery outside of Baton Rouge. (I googled them) The colors were outstanding these are high on my purchase list this year.

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I wish we had better luck with keeping them alive here. But just can't get them them to hang in there.
    Was in a store last night. And this smell hit me, And I am talking about 50 ft away. And a smile took over. I love to smell those plants like that.
    I will search for the brand your talking about.
    And tips on keeping them alive ?

Pete

3. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    This is my Oriental Hibiscus last year:

Attached Files:

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    There are perinneal and then tropical hibiscus. The perinneal live outside here, so they would probably survive in W. Tenn. Research them on the net. If you can't find some that are perinneal to your area, then what my daughter in PA does, is she takes the tropicals in the house for winter or leaves them under an eave outside and they always come back the next year.

I have pictures of my perinneals somewhere, but not in this computer. I think they are on a disc.

The ones that return here have the non-shiny leaves on them.

Take care.
    Cheryl

P.S. Was the sweet smelling plant a gardenia, Pete? I love those things, but they are indoor plants here, unless there is one I'm not aware of, which is very possible.

Spring has sprung. Here are some crocuses and daffodils that have begun to bloom in the last few days here. Summer like weather, shorts and sandals here.
    :big_smile:

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have 4 planted here in illinois around my water gardens. they (gardeners at the shop) told me the first year to put lots of straw over them the first season. they have come up every year since 2003. flowers the size of dinner plates, prob the most beautiful flower ive ever seen. fell in love the min i seen them at bthe garden center. only the japanese beetles love em too.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    This tells about the perennial hibiscus and the tropical ones.

http://www.trop-hibiscus.com/gindr.html

Yes the Japanese beetles love them here, too. The beetles were less last year, I hope this year there are even fewer.

Take care.
    Cheryl

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    man ya all are still awake???? i had to put 7dust on mine last season. they were eating them before they wee opening. im just glad all the ornimental grasses i have attracts the praying mantis. i love watching them chomp the pests.

8. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Here are some pictures of my two hibiscus plants outside my garage.

Attached Files:

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mike,

Thanks for sharing those with us! What huge plants! Mine only get about 3 ft. high, as they are in the shade most of the day. Here is a close up of one of my blooms from last week.

Take care.
    Cheryl

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Beautiful plants, guys! I've never tried one, but I know Ersel had a couple of them several years ago, & they were really pretty. Hmmmm....maybe next year...???

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. mine look just like cherl and mikes. pink and red. they are in full bloom now.