Hiawassee Reservoir

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by John Porter, Feb 29, 2008.

1. John Porter

John Porter New Member

State:
    Murphy,North Carolina
    Anyone here ever fish Hiawassee Reservoir? I don't live to far from it and want to give it a shot this spring.
    I love having to learn a new area but I'll manage...
    Thanks In Advance,
    John

2. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I know that my dad and his dad caught some big Flatheads there 50+ years ago. Along with some big carp, big suckers, big pike, and small mouth bass. We had family in Murphy, I went there some when I was real young but never fished it but do remember seeing big suckers swimming the bank. When they were fishing it the gas tank was on top of the motor. I know that they fished the bridges quite a bit. Wish you luck!

3. CMJ

CMJ Guest

The state record striper came from there, 54 pounds 2 oz, caught in 1991.

4. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    Stripers aren't stocked in there if I remember right, likely it came through from Nottley's dam or spillway. The story I heard from multiple sources is that the big girl got trapped as the water went down and they chased her aground. Kind of like the state record brown trout, real fishy circumstances surrounding that one too. Has anybody else heard this fish tale?

5. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I've never heard that, but it makes since, because you never hear it mentioned as a great striper lake. Looks like the NCWRC would do a little investigating like they did with the old channel cat record. Might not be much they can do though. It's a record that will probably stand for a long time.

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    john i fish hiawassee a few times a yr we do good at night on channells in the summer using cut baite we catch a nice flathead every now an then i fish fontaina a lot more with better luck up any of the rivers at night the water is so clear the fish go a lot deeper in the day an are spookie let me know when your going will try to help you out if i can.

7. John Porter

John Porter New Member

State:
    Murphy,North Carolina
    Ron,
    Once I get my old boat redone I'll start pounding the water. My buddy tonight mentioned Fontaine to me plus he fishes the reservoir alot. I am looking forwards towards my son and I spending many days and nights just fishing and bs'ing. He is more like my best buddy then a son.. Just the way I like it..
    John

8. Brendin0702

Brendin0702 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah I heard some nice Catfish come out of that place.