Hi Tech Catfish rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by blackwaterkatz, Apr 5, 2009.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I have several older HT catfish rods, but someone recently gave me a new on: 8' MH casting rod, so I decided to mount a new reel on it. Well, I hooked into a really nice flathead yesterday, got him to the surface once, then when he went back down, started wrapping around structure. I was horsing him along pretty hard, I guess, (trying to keep him away from cover) in the very heavy current, and the rod broke. I've never had any problems with the older ones, but they don't seem to have quite the backbone of some other brands that I use.
    What are other's view on these rods. That aren't badly constructed for a cheap rod, but this one cost me what would have easily been my pb for flatheads.
    My normal rods for this type fishing are the Penn Sturdy Stiks, or Ugly Sticks; just thought I would try something different on that one. I was using 30# cajun red with a tight drag. I think I just pushed the rod past its limit. :smile2:

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Tommy,
    I can't comment on the HT rods but as far as pushing it past it's limit, there''s not much else you could have done. Just a case of finding the weakest link in the chain.
    If you hadn't of horsed the fish and it got to the snag you would have lost it anyway.
    Hope you get him next time...W

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    never heard of them. do you have pictures of them? who makes them?

4. Catfish Levi

Catfish Levi Member

State:
    chillicothe, mo
    ive heard the infisherman guys make these rods dunno if its true or not im thinking about ordering a 9ft spinning one for the river this summer

5. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    You mean In-Fisherman magazine? They don't "make" or produce any tackle products that I know of. They might endorse stuff, but don't manufacture it. :confused2:

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have one in 7 ft although I caught plenty of channels with it just dont care for it much. I do like the color combination's on the rod. Its made by HT enterprises. They make other rods and reels also. Or put their names on reels. It seems they have branched off into the ice fishing market more recently.

7. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    HT is owned by the Linder bros. I have a HT COASTMASTER hvy rod that wouldnt break if I hooked into a great white!... good rods

8. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Well guys, I hate to bust the bubble, but the Lindner Bros DO NOT own HT Enterprises in any way. They merely do promotional work to support them. HT is owned by Paul Grahl who is also the CEO.