Hi-Point?

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by smokeeater3302, Mar 13, 2008.

1. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    Today , I bought a HI-Point 9mm pistol , and a Carbine for under $150

i know what you are thinking , and I can assure you that is was legit
    I was wondering what you guys think of the HI-point's . I know that they have a life time warranty on these guns , and that makes me think that they cant be as bad as what everyone on the net thinks.

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The name shouldn't be "High Point", it should be "What's the Point?"

I know they're are cheap, but then again, they are. The finish is bad, sights horendus, trigger is awful, and very undependable. The one point about a firearm is to be for self defense. There's no way I'd trust one of these for that! They're made to carry and point at someone to scare them, but that's about it. I'm not trying to discredit you, but if you're not experienced in firearms, then I'd say trade them in for something you can depend on. They're more likely to get you hurt than what you bought them for.

3. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They are rough weapons to say the least. A warranty doesn't mean anything until you try to get something fixed. I will say I've owned another cheap weapon a Taurus and had an issue with a brand new revolver and they fixed it and had it back in 10 days. It had a bad firing pin and wouldn't fire at all. For the poor guy that bought a gun never fired it (yes there are people that do that) and had it the home for self defense he would of had a big surprise if they ever had problem. I've never been sorry I bought a high quality gun or tool.

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I have several handguns, and I do own a Hi-point. It is the model JHP, is .45ACP. It's heavy, and ugly, but it is fairly accurate, and has NEVER failed me once. Not even a jam, and I have shot several thousand rounds through it. It's a great piece to carry in the boat, in my opinion. If it gets dropped overboard, your only out 125 bucks instead of 750 bucks. As far as a self-defense pistol goes, it was the first hadgun that I had ever bought, other than a .22, and I do trust it for that purpose. Now that I have much better quality guns, I use my Springfield XD for defense gun now!:cool2:

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Ya could of got a nice quality 22 rimfire rifle for just a little over that, and been much better armed and more accurate. If yer looking for a piece to carry or protect you family, it's not the time to coupon shop. If yer just collecting and trading ya done ok. I sure wouldn't carry one condition one.Those "pot metal" guns have a nasty earned reputation for AD's and then the units you got are full of plastic too. I think the triggers are awful also. I've shot several. Don't own one, and won't take one when I'm horse trading either. Charter Arms and Taurus are as cheap as I'll go for a handgun. If yer just playing and having fun, enjoy.
    :big_smile:

6. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Had a buddy that got the same deal, I did not care for it, I kept my glock22 that 40 cal works for me.:eek:oooh:

7. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have had a couple of them and to say i ever had a problem out of one i can't really think of one. sure they are not made out of the best stuff but i figure thats one reason they are priced so cheap. i use to keep one in my tackle box all the time. they are very good trading tools i would have to say.

8. smokeeater3302

State:
    il
    Took the Hi-Points out and let some lead fly . They were actually suprising , shot about 150 rounds each no stove pipes miss fires or hang fires. I will say that the triggers could use some work . However, I will say that I have spent more than $150 bucks on worse things in my life . The Carbine has a scope on it and is nice out to 75yds , and then it gets a little spread out in group size

I dont intend to carry these or use them as a my main line of defense. I kinda have the rep that if its legal , and so are you I'm probably going to buy it .
    For home defense with little ones down the hall its a shot gun only in the house . I know that they say bird shot is for birds , but I think that in a house if there is a load of 4's center mass that will probably ruin your night . My main carry gun is a Springfield .45 . I have quite the stash of guns , so as to the comment that I might not know, I like to think that I do . I know that it isnt a Fine 1911, or Glock . Its the same thing with my waterfowl gun , can I take the Red Label out in the field sure , but im going to cry the first time it gets trashed

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I had a woman gunsmith tell me @ the counter whe i was looking for a pistol that they only carry them for ppl who can't afford the better ones that's it!!!! She flat out said they were not any good except for very close quarters or a "throw away" gun she called it...

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have shot several hi points and every one i tested was accurate and reliable. i have never witnessed one jam or fail to eject a spent casing. they are big and bulky and their triggers suck, but i see them as a valuable training aid in teaching folks to shoot. i have started the kids out with co2 pistols, then a .22 mag, then a full sized handgun. i think a high point would be a good tool for this.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont think they are that great. BUT i have had people ask me what i thought the best pistol was for self defense and i always tell them,its the one in your hand when the shooting starts.Its better then throwing rocks ill tell you that.:wink:

12. smokeeater3302

State:
    il

Thank You,

I dont care if I have my 10/22, or one of my 8mm mausers . if things go south , I dont care what I have . I feel that I have enough marksmanship that I can ruin your day as long as I have something that will fire

13. smokeeater3302

State:
    il
    I would rather have a gun no matter what it is than a LEFT IT
    [left it in the safe,left it in the truck]
    no matter the brand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Yep, LEFT IT in the truck, safe, ect, is about as bad as running out of ammo. Then all you have is an expensive billy club! LMAO! All I know is someone has a gun pointed at me, no matter what the brand, I'm gonna be nervous and try not to pi## the person off anymore than I did! :smile2::wink:

15. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have a ruger, a bersa, and a high point. the high point is always in the ranch truck. i got it strictly for the price since it is always dirty or muddy or getting bumped around and it has been a great gun for this use. i carry the ruger if i am not going in rough conditions. i have never had it jam or not fire and it takes plenty of abuse. i would not spend a lot of money for a gun that is for work and not show.

16. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    The first rule is "Have a gun". Gun Tests magazine tested HIpoints and was surprised they work so well. For those on a budget they can buy a cheap handgun that works reliably. The target doesn't know if its being shot by a Hipoint or a Glock... It just needs to go bang each time you pull the trigger.

test it and see what ammo it likes the best.

Better than a sharp stick or knife. And its so big and clunky you can use it as a club when you run out of ammo.

Fast is fine, but accurate is final.......Wyatt Earp :wink: